OneLastFieldTrip One Last Field Trip YKTTW Discussion
|One Last Field Trip|
We're coming of age... time for one last go at our childhood ritual
- Soon you're gonna leave, so leave us one more weekend
The Academy Is..., "One More Weekend"
- Azumanga Daioh ends with the girls all having graduated highschool and soon to begin college, the following semester. Before going their separate ways, they decide to take one last trip to the Magical Land amusement park, for old time's sake. Chiyo's voice-over, along with the music at the end, makes it bittersweet, bordering on Tear Jerker.
- The Trope Namer is the Fandom of The Magic School Bus, who, with the exception of the ultimateSora invariably have Ms Frizzle return to bring the kids on one last, symbolic field trip before they graduate from school.
- Invoked in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince after Dumbledore's funeral. Harry has lost his mentor and broken up with his girlfriend. He is going to drop out of school to hunt down Voldemort's Horcruxes. He is glad that he has "one last golden afternoon" to spend with Ron and Hermione.
- Played for Laughs in Friends when Ross and Monica try to revive their childhood tradition of the Thanksgiving American Football game.
- Played Straight in the Series Finale when they all go to Central Perk for one last cup of coffee.
- In another episode of Friends Ross & Chandler's Party Animal friend from college comes to town and they all go out partying, only for Ross & Chandler to discover that their bodies can't handle being out all night any more.
- The last episode of The Inbetweeners and then the film deal with the sat summer before the boys leave and go to university, knowing that their friendships may not survive.
- In How I Met Your Mother, Ted and Marshall do one last of those Tantrum-fueled road trips they used to do during their college years. Only by now, Marshall is married to Lily, and thus she tags along...
- The song "One More Weekend" by The Academy Is... is about this.
- So is "Last Summer" by Lostprophets.
- In one episode of American Dad!, after some classmates make fun of them, Steve and his entourage decide to have one last slumber party (and try to make it a memorable one).
- Subverted and Played for Laughs in The Simpsons: When Bart starts worrying about growing up he does some childish things to prove he's not, such as going on a mechanical riding pony outside a store. Then we see him thoroughly bored doing it.