The inverse of Hold Your Hippogriffs and Oh My Gods!, it's when someone uses an expression which could not possibly have come into use, due to Speculative Fiction history preventing the etymology from taking place. "Jeez" or variants are the most commonly seen words which invoke this trope. In fact, when Hold Your Hippogriffs or Oh My Gods! are used, it's to defy this trope. Another variant of this trope is used for humor, such as yelling out "Jesus" in front of the real Jesus, who will usually assume that He is being addressed. Ready for launch? Yes
- In the English dub of InuYasha there's an episode where he remarks, "we've all got our own cross to bear." This is set before Christianity was introduced to Japan.
- Fullmetal Alchemist. As far as is shown, there's nothing like a benevolent monotheist deity- there's the jerkass god Truth and Father, whose kind of like Satan. However, Greed does a See You in Hell to his family and Buccaneer references Fluffy Cloud Heaven.
- A translation-created problem in the Spanish version of an Astérix comic book: a character sneezes, Asterix says "Bless you!" - which in this context is translated to Spanish as "Jesus!". Raising the question for Spanish readers of how could Asterix say that in the year 50 B.C.
- History of the World Part I, Comicus says "Jesus" in exasperation during The Last Supper, causing Jesus to answer, "Yes?" assuming that he was addressing him.
- One of the earlier Discworld books references gypsies, which is kind of a problem, since there's no Egypt in the universe to derive that name- the equivalent is called Djelibeybi. So, if there are Roma on the Disc, they should probably be nicknamed Jelibeybs or something like that.
- In the Dragonriders of Pern series, Pernese still say "jays" and "by all that's holy" despite having Outgrown Such Silly Superstitions.
- Thanks to Throw It In, Battlestar Galactica's Colonel Tigh exclaims "Jesus!" in a polytheistic society that's never heard of and predates Abrahamic religions.
- Dinosaurs uses the B.C. timeline. Lampshaded in the first episode when Robbie asks why the dates go backwards. "I mean, what are we counting down for? What are we waiting for?"
- Falco rather infamously sarcastically calls Fox "Einstein" if you shoot him in Star Fox 64. When a reader of Nintendo Power magazine sent in a letter questioning how could a being from another galaxy know about Einstein, their response was "Because the game's creators are from this galaxy, Einstein."
- Falco not only says "Einstein", but also "Jeez Laweez, what's that?". He really loves this trope.
- Exiern, a High Fantasy world with no relation to earth much less Japan apparently has Yaoi Porn, mentioned by name.
- In the animated The Return of the King, Samwise's response to Gollum's final attack is a very animated "Gooood help us!"
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable