A character who is really good at locating places and objects. This character knows their way around maps and are at giving good directions. If they are part of a Five-Man Band or a Command Roster, expect this character to double as The Smart Guy. This type of character is often found in works with a military or maritime setting. If the setting has a magical setting or Eldritch Location, expect The Navigator to wield a Magic Map or compass. Their ability to navigate and detect might even be due to magic or a superpower in these settings. Contrast with No Sense of Direction, a character who is incredibly bad at maps and directions.
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- Last Exile: Klaus' backseat (navigator and mechanic) in his vanship is his best friend Lavie.
- Melfina is the navigator of the XGP in Outlaw Star by design.
- One Piece: Nami is the navigator of the Straw Hat pirates. She's also good at drawing maps.
- Brock is the navigator in the Pokémon anime, usually the one carrying the Town Map.
- Radio on The Brave Little Toaster gives himself the job of navigator, honing in on radio signals to get to the city.
- Milo Thatch guides the team in Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire, as Milo is the only one who can decipher The Shepherd's Journal that details the route to Atlantis.
- Young Max Goof is appointed "Chief Whichawayer" of the cross-country road tour of the United States by his father in A Goofy Movie. This sets up a Plot Twist when Max misuses this power to divert the tour to Los Angeles.
- David, the titular navigator in Flight of the Navigator.
- On The Hunt for Red October Mr. Kamarov was the Red October's navigator and guided the boat through the infamous Red Route One.
- Twister has Rabbit, the guy who gets the storm chasers to where the twister is. He has a truck full of maps (rolled, not folded) and knows all the shortcuts across the Kansas countryside.
- In the Dune universe, Navigators have consumed so much spice that their bodies have deformed and they have to stay in a special tank filled with spice gas. They are able to use a limited form of prescience to safely navigate interstellar space in a starship called a heighliner.
- Kynddelig (or Cynddylig) from Culhwch and Olwen, about whom it is said "as good a guide was he in a land which he had never seen as he was in his own".
- On Star Trek: The Original Series, Pavel Chekov is the Enterprise's navigator.
- Tun Luiec in The Longest Journey is a freelance navigator looking for work in Marcuria. She is also a woman, so no captain wants her aboard his ship until April pulls some strings for her.
- In Uncharted Waters: New Horizons, you can assign any one of your mates to the Chief Navigator position, but if this mate has the Celestial Navigation perk, it unlocks the auto-travel function of the game.
- In Mass Effect Pressly was said to be the Normandy's navigator before he became XO.
- In The Secret of Monkey Island, Guybrush has to convince the talking head of a beheaded navigator, reanimated by voodoo magic, to show him the way through Monkey Island's underground cave system to reach Le Chuck's ship.
- Michelangelo hilariously enough is the navigator for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012) show. He's not that good at it.
- Kit Cloudkicker in TaleSpin served as Baloo's navigator on the Sea Duck. One episode even had him get a trophy for it.
- Christopher Columbus did much of his own navigation, particularly on his first voyage.
- Mary Patten, wife of Joshua Patten, captain of the clipper ship Neptune's Car became the ship's navigator when her husband became ill from exhaustion, due to having to perform his duties as well as the First Mate's, who was in the brig. Only 20 years old, she was able to do it, because she had studied navigation on earlier voyages as a hobby, as well as act as nurse for her husband, from Cape Horn, all the way to San Francisco. And she was pregnant the whole time.
- Fred Noonan was known for pioneering many of Pan Am's routes to China and trained a large number of their navigators. He was eventually chosen to be Amelia Earhart's navigator on her final attempt to circumnavigate the globe.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.