A character that specialises in close-range attacks
is often contrasted to a character that specialises in attacking from a distance.
This especially happens in video games, as part of ensuring that the characters are balanced decently.
However, there has
to be some sort of connection between the two characters. You can't simply point out that this work just happens to have an orc with a sword and an elf with a bow and arrow in it. There must be a link, the more personal the better.
See Weapon of Choice
. Compare Guys Smash, Girls Shoot
and Sword and Sorcerer
- Pops up time to time in Bleach.
- Ichigo Kurosaki is largely a close-range fighter with one long-range attack. His opponents/rivals are:
- Uryu Ishida, who is an archer.
- Renji Abarai, who uses a Whip Sword.
- Byakuya Kuchiki, who attacks with cherry blossoms that flow like a liquid.
- Ulquiorra Cifer, whose strongest weapon is a throwable spear.
- Gin Ichimaru, who uses an extendable sword.
- This pairing describes Gimli the dwarf and Legolas the elf from Tolkien's The Lord Of The Rings trilogy. Gimli's preferred weapon is the short broadax, while Legolas prefers the longbow. During their battles against the forces of Sauron, Gimli and Legolas sustain a running contest as to which has felled more enemies.
[[folder: Tabletop Games]]
- Apply this trope to a faction and you get the Tau and Kroot from Warhammer 40 K. The Tau have awesome guns but are pathetic in close combat, the Kroot are barbarians who live for close combat but don't wear armor. It illustrates their "Greater Good" philosophy, where the weaknesses of one are compensated by the strengths of the other.
[[folder: Video Games]]
- The Spy and The Sniper from Team Fortress 2 in-universe are fierce enemies, partly because Snipers are a prime target for quick Spy kills. The Spy's weapon is a knife used for instant-kill backstabs, while The Sniper specialises in long-distance headshots.
- Two of the central characters of Street Fighter, Ryu and Ken, have identical special moves. However, Ryu is geared towards the projectile Hadoken attack while Ken is geared towards the Shoryuken uppercut. Their Super Combos are tailored towards these moves to highlight their preference.
- Lucian and Bea from Lunar Knights have this arrangement - Bea has a solar-energy charged gun while Lucian has a sword that gets more powerful at night.
- The Pokemon series has two types named Fighting and Psychic, and Psychic-type attacks are super-effective to Fighting type Pokemon. Fighting-type attacks are usually physical (eg. Karate Chop, Brick Break), while Psychic-type attacks are so universally Special moves that moves like Psycho Cut are highlighted in-game as dealing physical damage.
- Chariot and Justice from Persona 3 are Dual Boss that can revive each other. Chariot is a giant tank that mainly uses Strike attacks, while Justice is a small turret that uses Pierce attacks.
- Cress from Tales Of Phantasia takes on enemies at close range with swords, while his close buddy Chester takes on them with bows and arrows.
- Max and Grit in Advance Wars. Max's direct attacking units have more power than normal, but his indirect attacking units are weak. Grit is the exact opposite. In the story, they used to be best friends (and romantic rivals for Nell) before Grit defected to the Blue Moon army.
[[folder: Web Original]]
- In the machinima series Red vs Blue Sarge (leader of the Red Team) wields a shotgun almost everywhere while Church (leader of the Blue Team) uses a sniper rifle, although he has a terrible aim with it.