Created By: Unknown TroperOctober 29, 2009
Do We Have This One Yet? Needs A Better Description. This is a point in a story where one of the protagonists, usually an Action Survivor, feels a need to take action against the Big Bad. The problem is, they can't fight. Cue the protagonist going to a trusted friend who can, and asking to be taught. They agree, but although the two are on friendly terms, the training is anything but easy. It's sometimes even Training From Hell. But the protagonist takes a level in badass by the end of it. Note that they actually have to ask for the training themselves.
- Heroes: Claire asks Noah to teach her to fight. She is reluctant to actually do this until he tells her to "Just hit me!" with a plank of wood.
- Pendragon: After nearly being beaten to death by Saint Dane, Bobby asks Loor to do this. His training is very much Training From Hell.
- Harry Potter: Ron and Hermione ask Harry to do this, and Dumbledore's Army is born.
- Shirou from Fate Stay Night. Saber starts training him just to shut him up and convince him that he's out of his league fighting Servants.
- In the comic Superman vs. Muhammad Ali, Ali teaches Superman to box.
- This is, of course, to create a non-superpowered "fair fight" between the two.
- In Madlax, after Vanessa shoots a person for the first time (it's to protect the eponymous heroine and she only grazes her target, but she angsts nonetheless), she eventually asks Madlax to teach her to shoot. It doesn't end well, as she dies when protecting Madlax again.
- Shakugan No Shana. Yuji is sort of a Non Action Guy, but his insistence on keeping up with Shana's demon-hunting lifestyle led him to receive Training From Hell from several different sources, eventually taking several levels in Badass. Most striking is when he's being pushed around by a minor demon, who intends to use him as bait to draw out Shana. He suddenly realizes that this guy is well below his current power-level, and proceeds to kick his ass. Yep, Yuji's all grown up now...
- It was Leon, known out of France as The Professional. A young girl asks to be taught a hitman's skills in order avenge her brother's death.
- Mahou Sensei Negima. Negi is already quite good at the start of the manga (it's suspected that he's been training from age four), but it really gets serious when he asks Evangeline to teach him.
- Dungeons And Dragons adventure OA5 Mad Monkey vs. The Dragon Claw. During the sea journey NPC Ko La Ko approaches one of the PCs and asks the PC to teach him kung fu so he won't be so useless in a fight.
- With a name like Karate Kid, you can probably guess that this happens without seeing the movie.
Hello, Unkown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable