Five hats! Will launch on Sunday under the current name! All examples not added by then will be at that time! Do We Have This One?? Since my method of checking is to skim over one or two pages that logically should have it, I can't be sure. Rolling Updates. If you've got a world populated by multiple different sapient species, and that world has a postal service, chances are the mail delivery will be handled by a species capable of flight. If the postman themselves isn't flight-capable but uses a mount that is, that's this trope, too. This trope practically justifies itself; after all, if you need to task someone with mail delivery, why not pick someone who can fly over all the ground hazards and easily land at each mailbox? Particularly common in Ocean Punk settings, most likely because the lack of land magnifies the advantages of flight. Can be a form of Mundane Utility. If you're comparing this trope to Flying Dutchman, you're probably reading too quickly.
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- The namesake of Kiki's Delivery Service is a variant, where a witch makes deliveries via Flying Broomstick.
- My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic fan works overwhelmingly portray the fan-favorite background pegasus Derpy Hooves as Ponyville's mailmare.
- In the Harry Potter series, owls are used to deliver mail.
- In Cold Copper Tears of the Garrett, P.I. series, a description of the multi-species crowd in a TunFaire neighborhood includes a mention of a winged pixie messenger.
- In the Paper Mario series, the postal service is run by Paratroopas. You can get one of them as your partner in the first game.
- The Rito people of Dragon Roost Island in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.
- The postman you meet in The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass is also winged, somewhat inexplicably.
- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon has the Pelipper Post Office; the name pretty much says it all. (Pelipper is a flying pelican-like Pokémon.)
- Pete the pelican from Animal Crossing.
- One episode of The Backyardigans crossed this trope with Dragon Rider.
- My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic: A mail pegasus has a brief appearance in "Wonderbolt Academy".
- Carrier pigeons can be seen as a downplayed example.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.