When a particularly desirable item is first stolen, and then stolen from the one who stole it, and then stolen again, and so on.
- One of the stories in Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book involves Mowgli finding a jeweled elephant goad. Though it's pretty, he considers it worthless so he tosses away, but it is found by a man who is killed by another man to take it, who is killed by a group of men to take it, who then kill each other for possession of it. Mowgli is very disturbed and takes the goad back to where he found it.
- A literal Solid Gold Poop subject to a chain theft becomes a running gag in multiple episodes of American Dad!.
- In a Sylvester the Cat and Tweety Bird Looney Tunes cartoon Sylvester has Tweety in his hands and is running away, when Tweety gets snatched out of his hands by another cat running the opposite direction. This happens a few times in quick succession, done by several cats. In the end of the sequence Sylvester has Tweety again.
- The Pink Panther and three other characters steal a large bone from each other in "Prehistoric Pink".
- Adventure Time. The thief city episode features this as a scene.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable