This might fall under Tropes In Aggregate, but I have seen it enough times.
Also, this came close to an alliterative title, but "benevolent" and "benign" were the the closest synonyms, and neither really fits the trope well.
You have a pair of (usually) ladies, and you can tell the nice one because she is blonde, and the not nice (or evil) one because she is a brunette.
Why this is so can have various reasons. Perhaps it's because Everyone Loves Blondes
. In The Eighties
, it might have just been follow the leader
due the popularity of Joan Collins's role in Dynasty
. For whatever reason, this is in a number of shows.
Also, how good and bad the characters are can vary
. The blonde could be a Messianic Archetype
who's a Friend to All Living Things
, or just moderately more kind than the brunette. The Brunette could be an outright monster, or just a bit more spoiled
and selfish than the blonde.
This often includes Light Feminine and Dark Feminine
. Heck, this could even include a Dumb Blonde
and Brainy Brunette
Also, if this is part of a Blonde, Brunette, Redhead
trio, the redhead could be anything, as long as the blonde and brunette fit their roles.
of Good Colors, Evil Colors
, Good Hair, Evil Hair
Compare Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold
, Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
Contrast Blondes Are Evil
Anime and Manga
Live Action TV
- In Chibi Devi, the blonde Rai is compassionate and mature for his age, whereas Karin, who has mousy brown hair, tends to be selfish and bad-tempered.
- Dynasty became this in the second season, with the arrival of Alexis Carrington, the Manipulative Bastard brunette first wife of Blake Carrington, compared to Krystle Grant Jennings, the beleaguered blonde second wife.
- In Beverly Hills Teens, Brunette brat Bianca was always trying to get the better of not spoiled blonde Larke (although both were part of Fiction 500 families).
- The eponymous blonde Princess of Lady Lovely Locks compared to the evil brunette Duchess Ravenwaves, who wanted Lovely Locks's hair, for it will allow her to conquer the kingdom.
- Of the Powerpuff Girls, the blonde Bubbles is the sweet-natured but naive one, while the black-haired Buttercup is a tough-as-nails Tomboy Jerk with a Heart of Gold. Blossom, the redhead, is in between.