Sometimes, after meeting somebody, you get that weird...vibe about them. Or maybe, you're simply intrigued about them. You want to know everything you possibly can about them, so that's when you decide to log in to your computer and search their name. More often than not, your search returns nothing, prompting you to want to know more about them. Sometimes, you get results, but they were nothing like you were expecting
. This is often how attraction starts between characters, prompting them to want to get to know you. If the person you're searching has a pretty common name, but you still manage to find information on him, that's It's a Small Net After All
. Needs a Better Description
? Do We Have This
- There's a commercial for a fast AT&T 4G phone where a guy and a girl are speed-dating, and as the guy is giving the girl lines, she's reading the opposite of what he's telling her off his online dating profile page and calling him on it.
Anime & Manga
- On Death Note, when Light Yagami and Misa Amane discover they are the first and second Kira respectably, the first thing they do is try to look information about each other. Light, while a genius, keeps his profile low, just giving basic information on his online profile. Misa on the other hand, is a famous model with a lot of public interaction and public events, obviously this initially stresses Light quite a bit.
- The In Name Only Catwoman movie had the love interest Google the artwork on Patience Phillips' walls after meeting her.
- In Taken 2, when Bryan finds out that his daughter Kimmy has a new boyfriend, the first thing he does is run a background check... just as he did with all her other previous boyfriends. His ex-wife Lenore even tells him to not run a background check on the new guy, because she knows that he ALWAYS does this.
- In the novel of The Devil Wears Prada, we get a lot of backstory on Miranda from what Andrea says about her Google search just after she gets the job.
Live Action TV
- In the first episode of the revived Doctor Who, Rose looks up "the Doctor" shortly after meeting him. When that predictably gives her a huge bevy of irrelevant results, she tightens the search to include "alien", and finds a related website with improbable ease.
- Relied upon for the 'Lorenzo von Matterhorn' play from Barney's Playbook in How I Met Your Mother to work.
- Watson does this with Sherlock Holmes in the first episode of Sherlock, which brings him naturally to Holmes' website.
Watson: How did you know my dad had an affair?
) Well, not everything is deducible.
- Tony Stark did this with the Black Widow in Iron Man 2.
- In Twilight, Bella searches about vampires after hearing Jacob Black describe the local legends about them. She tries to put two and two together to figure out what Edward really was.
- Employers have the rights to check a potential employee's facebook page (just as anyone does by simply typing someone's name into the search bar), but it is illegal to ask for their profile and password. If they insist on seeing it, they have to allow you to log in personally. More on The Other Wiki here.