Personnel-Pinning Projectiles YKTTW Discussion
Projectile weaponry that pin bodies to wallsDescription Needs Help
Needs a Better Description, Rolling Updates Basically, the ability to staple dead bodies to walls using projectile weapons from across the room. This almost invariably takes the form of guns that shoot spikes, arrows, or other pointy objects, frequently a crossbow. This can break suspension of disbelief where a handheld weapon fires a projectile that flings enemies across the room and embeds itself the wall behind them, without a clean through-and-through. This often has the potential to kill whatever is standing behind them as well. However, this can be overlooked in the name of both Rule of Fun and Rule of Cool. Subtrope of Wreaking Havok and Impaled with Extreme Prejudice. See also Knife Outline, for non-lethal cases.
- The Resistance Crossbow in Half-Life 2 is one of the more famous examples; it shoots a heated rebar at enemies.
- One of the earliest video games was No One Lives Forever with the Sportsman EX Crossbow and the underwater Spear Gun.
- The Huntsman and Crusader's Crossbow in Team Fortress 2, available for the Sniper and Medic, respectively. The former can be set on fire by the Pyro and certain map elements. The latter does more damage the further it travels, not to mention healing teammates.
- Harpoon Gun in Crackdown's Toybox DLC. It makes a full return in the sequel.
- Spiker in Red Faction Guerrilla's DLC
- The Stakegun in Painkiller does this as the primary fire. The alt-fire shoots grenades.
- The Crossbow in BioShock can do this, with five rounds to a clip. In addition to its normal bolts, it also shoots incendiary bolts and electrified trip-wires.
- Spear Gun in BioShock 2
- Javelin Gun in Dead Space 2
- HV Penetrator Nailgun in FEAR
- HV Hammerhead in FEAR 2
- The Railway Rifle in Fallout3 is an inventable weapon which shoots Railway spikes.
- Throwing Spears in Fallout: New Vegas
- Combi Stick in Alien Versus Predator
- Stinger Minigun's alt-fire in Unreal Tournament III
- Crossbow in Deus Ex: Human Revolution
- Bow in Turok
- Spikeshot in Singularity
- Helghast VC 21 Bolt Gun in Killzone 2
- Spear gun in Si N
- Crossbow in No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way
- Resistance Fall Of Man is unique in having a grenade that can do this, the Hedgehog.
- "Nail Gun Mode", a cheat in Red Dead Redemption, makes all your guns do this.
- The Penetrator from Bulletstorm.