Oh, how they Shine.
Needs a better name.
This is where a character has very unique, "beautiful" eyes. These eyes are one of their main defining characteristics, and many people become enamored with them
because of it. Maybe their eyes are an unusual color
, or perhaps it's a very piercing, striking hue of a color. Or possibly, their eyes have very pure, untainted emotion inside that other people can clearly see. Whatever the reason, these eyes will be known
for being gorgeous and special. In fact, characters will many times come out and tell them that their eyes are beautiful. Occasionally, the character themselves will hate their own eyes because it makes them "different."
Anime and Manga
- Besides the lightning shaped scar, Harry Potter's most notable and frequently commented on physical trait is his green eyes, which he got from his mother, Lily. Pretty much everyone remarks about it.
- To add to the Harry Potter example, in the epilogue Harry's youngest child, Albus Severus Potter, is the only one who inherits Lily's eyes.
- Bella makes much of Edward Cullen's eyes in Twilight. They're an especially good example because they change color (gold to black) according to how HUNGRY he is...and since his vampire thirst for blood is conflated with his lust for Bella, it sometimes has to do with how turned on he is too.
- Bella's actress actually did that same thing in Zathura, when their house flying in space picks up a stranded astronaut, and she spends a moment or so gazing into his eyes. Then she finds out later it's her kid brother grown-up from the future. Absolute Squickapalooza.
- One of the two eugenically-created breeding lines in the Lensman series (run by Sufficiently Advanced Aliens to breed the perfect human) is distinguished by their auburn hair and "gold-flecked, tawny eyes."
- Darryl in the Young Wizards series has eyes so innocent that it hurts the first time you see them. Granted, he IS an abdal, and being a direct channel for The One would do that to you.
- Cloud from Final Fantasy 7. He's well known for having vivid blue eyes (which can glow aqua-green because of his being injected with Mako). This is milked for all it's worth in Advent Children, where there's countless closeups of his gorgeous eyes. Oh, and Crisis Core continues to show closeups of his emotional eyes◊.
- Big Boss (Naked Snake) from Metal Gear Solid 3, who has intense, aqua eyes◊. Brought up in-game by Volgin, who angrily orders The Boss to blind him. "Cut out his eyes! I don't like those blue eyes of his. There is nothing more important to a soldier than his eyes." The fact that Volgin notices that Big Boss' eyes are such an asset (to the point that he knows it would be the ultimate torture to take it away) says something. As are everyone else's horrified reactions to it.
- One of the popular reasons why numerous fangirls love Cillian Murphy◊.
- One of the striking parts of the famous photo "Afghan Girl◊".
- Hugh Laurie. Ask anyone.
- Alexis Beldel, Her eyes are one of the few things in colour in Sin City because the director liked them and insisted.
- Many fans asked WETA how they digitally enhanced Elijah Wood's eyes in Lord of the Rings. They responded, "We didn't". Fangirl squeeing ensued.
- Taylor Swift's song "Beautiful Eyes." The narrator never actually says what makes the eyes beautiful. However, she does repeatedly call them beautiful, and says she'll dream about them.
- The song Your Eyes by Elton John and Bernie Taupin.
- I just saw a post on Scans_Daily that said basically "Bullseye has so pretty eyes... There's something wrong with that."
- This Trigun drabble.
- Subverted in this Eyepatch-tan strip. The eyes are actually ignored!