This Just In YKTTW Discussion
|This Just In|
A news anchor is in the midst of some dull story when they're handed a stack of papers from off-screen. They immediately turn their attention to this new story, often beginning with "This Just In..." Sometimes seen as "Breaking News" on twenty-four hour news networks. Older programs might use "We interrupt this program..." or "This just handed me--". Often seen in Kent Brockman News.
This just in: Examples!Film
- Kentucky Fried Movie: "This Just In: The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Story at eleven."
- Said in the first Batman movie when the Joker's tainted products come to light (just before the female reporter signs off on camera).
- In Bruce Almighty, Bruce's debut night as a news anchor comes to a crashing halt when he sees a video feed of angry mobsters attacking the Lottery Commission, as he's the one who answered their prayers to win the lottery. "This just in..." Before he promptly turns it over to his co-anchor and leaves the set.
- Whose Line Is It Anyway? brings us this line in almost all the Weird Newscasters segments.
- The first episode of Dinosaurs opened with this news report: "A giant meteor is on a collision course with the Earth that will result in the extinction of all dinosaurs! ...This Just In: No, it's not."
- Once on The Day Today, Chris would repeatedly interrupt Alan's sports news segment with breaking reports about John Major having punched The Queen.
- Parodied on Saturday Night Live in the early days, as Chevy Chase would often announce on the Weekend Update segment "This just in: Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead."
- Parodied in this Super Effective comic. This strip was made around the time Michael Jackson died.
- In one Rocko's Modern Life short, after a TV news chopper crashes while covering a traffic jam, an anchorman is handed a piece of paper to report further traffic delays on the roads caused by a helicopter crash.
- In The Fairly OddParents, Chet Youbetcha uses this to the point of it being a Catch Phrase.