"Yes, Aizen is so Badass he can kill your theme music.
is squaring off with the Big Bad
, but something doesn't seem right. His theme song is picks up and all doubts are cast out of your mind as he moves in to attack. Some ass kicking is GUARANTEED
once that starts playing. But all of a sudden... The hero is soundly defeated! But it looked like such a sure thing! It looks like today is The Day the Music Lied
If played for laughs, expect it to be accompanied with a Record Needle Scratch
or a fading to bass.
Compare Cat Scare
for when dramatic tension is build up with music only for a harmless outcome.
Anime and Manga
- Bleach uses it a few times, most notably when Aizen stops Ichigo with one finger in the middle of his theme song.
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann features this in episode 25.
- Hajime No Ippo does it in Ippo's Title fight against Date.
- One Piece does this a few times, Particularly with Usopp.
- Team Four Star's Dragon Ball Z Abridged, when Yamcha arrives to fight the Saiyans. He gives his fellow warriors a roguish grin, heroic music begins to swell in the background, he starts his rousing speech, and boom.
- Digimon plays this trope for laughs whenever the titular characters try to digivolve while hungry.
- Avatar: The Last airbender pulls it off in the Season two Finale.
- Justice League: The New Frontier. Superman, being Superman, rouses and unites a divided group of superheroes, then, with heroic music playing in the background, charges off to scout and engage the enemy...only to be hit with an energy beam so powerful it knocks him several miles back and into the sea, pretty much removing him from the movie.