Writers Are Lecherous
Writer characters are frequently depicted as maniacs when it comes to sex and relationships
Needs More Examples, Do We Have This One, Is This Tropable? Foreword: Did a brief search on writers that are characters and didn't turn anything along this line. Also, it's my first YTTKW. Be gentle. Sometimes, the protagonist of a story is a writer themselves. Sometimes protagonists are thinly veiled versions of the people who created them. Writers Are Lecherous occurs when a character is a writer but also an irresistable sex maniac. If All Men Are Perverts and Most Writers Are Male, then it's only logical to conclude that most writers are perverts. This trope is for characters that fall under such an evaluation. This differs from a Marty Stu in that the character's hypersexuality is seldom played up as a good thing. It can damage his self esteem, his relationships with the people he cares about, and often his public image, or it can lead to parental disapproval and being called out as a cheater. If the character is especially unlucky he'll get all of the above. These characters aren't Lovable Sex Maniacs due to consequences. Even if Played For Laughs, a writer depicted in this fashion seldom gets away with his antics, unlike the Lovable Sex Maniac. They also don't usually see themselves as career Casanovas, instead being genuinely interested in writing. They just happen to have a lot of sex related hobbies or passtimes. Note that while this trope (in its current iteration) doesn't have to be Always Male, many examples will turn up that way since Most Writers Are Male and All Men Are Perverts. See Also: Bourgeois Bohemian, the type of person who has a sexually liberated mindset but isn't necessarily creative. Alright, hit me. Examples: Literature
- Malcom Bradbury wrote The History Man, which is about a virtuous English lit professor who confounds the malice of less gifted and wildly jealous fellow academics, especially those who are sexually frustrated on account of their fundamental unattractiveness to women
- Robert A Heinlein writes writers, and they tend to be Chivalrous Perverts.
- Invoked in-universe: Several Discworld books mention that the people who write about witch sabbaths involving dancing naked and summoning Horny Devils tend to spend too much time in small stuffy rooms instead of out in the fresh air.
- Californication: Moody might be the Most Triumphant Example, as a good chunk of his plot elements involve sleeping with, seducing, flirting or screwing around with the various women in his life.
- Castle: Castle is twice divorced, and quite charming with the single ladies. He signs a woman's chest in the pilot at one of his booksignings.
- Ringer: Henry is sleeping with Siobhan, who is his wife's best friend.
Hello, Unkown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable