Electric Black Guy YKTTW Discussion
|Electric Black Guy|
A Black Guy with Electric Powers.
In 1977, DC Comics revealed their first headlining African-American superhero with Black Lightning. However, due to numerous controversies and licensing disputes, in the many many adaptations of the DCU he has often been used via Captain Ersatz. This eventually developed into a consistent pattern in which Black male superheroes had electricity-themed powers.
- Ur-Example Black Lightning. Most other examples are deliberate Expies or Shout Outs to him.
- Static Shock of Milestone the DC Comics Imprint.
- Thunder Fall of the Congolese superhero team The Kingdom.
- Volt from Irredeemable; he's very self-conscious about the trope.
- DC Comics character Coldcast has "electro magnetic" powers which gives him a slightly broader range of abilities (he can theoretically affect electrons on the subatomic level) but largely boils down to Shock and Awe.
- Black Vulcan from Superfriends, created as an Captain Ersatz of Black Lightling to save on licensing fees.
- Juice in Justice League Unlimited (whose whole team consists of Expies of the Superfriends).
- Soul Power, a retro funk character from the Static Shock animated series. He was originally going to be Black Lighting, until lawyers got involved.