Mysteriously Uncountable YKTTW Discussion
Description Needs Help
This is some landscape feature whose parts cannot be counted accurately, thereby revealing its occult status. This is often — but not always — a stone circle or similar monument. Compare Alien Geometries.
- Winnie-the-Pooh has an uncountable circle of trees.
- Wyrd Sisters parodies this:
The stone was about the same height as a tall man, and made of a bluish tinted rock. It was considered intensely magical because, although there was only one of it, no-one had ever been able to count it; if it saw anyone looking at it speculatively, it shuffled behind them. It was the most self-effacing monolith ever discovered.
- In the Wayside School books, the school's steps work this way.
- The Doctor Who story "The Stones of Blood", filmed on location at the Rollright Stones, is about a stone circle which is called the Nine Travelers even though there aren't actually nine of them.
- The Ur-Example is probably the Rollright Stones, to which local folklore famously attributes this property. For the record, there are currently 82 of them standing, though there were probably quite a few more originally.