Hyper Hibernating YKTTW Discussion
The character can sleep for ages and wake up raring to go.
Basically, this character can do a Rip Van Winkle on purpose. Much like Sealed Evil in a Can, a character who can Hyper Hibernate is cut off from the world for years or centuries at a time. Unlike the SEIAC, they can wake up or get out on their own power. It does, however, sometimes require a hapless mortal waking them up by drilling into their home, dripping blood on them, or setting off some sort of trigger. Food, water, even air are rarely a concern, and aside from some way to hide and protect their body they have no real logistics issues. They may complain of stiffness and cobwebs, though. It's common for monsters like Dragons and Vampires to be able to enter these periods of hibernation when food is scarce or to heal from grave injuries. While humans may be able to do this, immortality via technology or magic is usually necessary.
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- Not entirely a voluntary example, but Dark King Ixpellia in StrikerS Sound Stage X spent most of her centuries-long life hibernating, waking up only occasionally to spawn an army of zombie robots and go into hibernation for another ten to thousand years. While she cannot control when and for how long she goes to "sleep", she is fully conscious and no worse for wear the moment she awakens.
- In the Underworld series the vampire Elders rotated their position as leader of the coven. While not in control, they remained in a suspended animation for centuries, from which they could be awakened by giving them blood.
- The dragons from Reign of Fire pretty much ate everything sizable on Earth, making the dinosaurs extinct, so they hibernated for millennia. A construction site unearths one, that awakens and starts feeding on people. Twenty years later, Great Britain is a scorched wasteland, with humans cowering underground while the skies over London are filled with fiery dragons.
- In Narnia Father Time sleeps, and has slept, and will continue to sleep until the end of the world - at which point he'll wake up and blow his horn.
- Cthulhu Mythos. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. ("In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.")
- In Blindsight vampires were a Human Subspecies that evolved to hunt other humans. To give their prey time to repopulate and forget them they would hibernate for decades. When geneticists revived the subspecies from extinction they began splicing the genes for hibernation into deep space travelers.
- The Hobbit: Smaug slept on his hoard for about 150 years before the dwarves woke him back up. The movie shortened it to 60 years.
- The Shadows in Babylon 5 are described as being in a "dormant" state on Z'ha'dum between brief waking periods (about 1000 years apart) when they actively foment war amongst the younger races. Prior to the latest Shadow War, they were "awakened" by the crew of the Earth research vessel Icarus which landed there.
- The Silurians in Doctor Who retreat beneath the Earth's crust in order to wait out an Apocalypse.
- In Vampire: The Masquerade vampires could do this when they ran out of blood. When blood was supplied to them they woke up again.
- Classic Traveller Double Adventure The Chamax Plague/Horde. The Chamax were spider-like aliens who could hibernate for centuries when their food supply ran low. When any form of animal life approached they woke up and started hunting it.
- Shadowrun. When the amount of magic in the world dropped low enough the dragons went into hibernation in their lairs. Thousands of years later, when the level of magic rose high enough again they woke up.
- The Necrons of Warhammer 40,000 retreated to giant underground complexes called tomb worlds after their war with the Old Ones. They are waking up to discover primitive apes squatting in their empire. They are not pleased.
- Sword of the Stars the Suul'ka who survived the Liir rebellion fled to deep space so they could sleep and recover. Until the Zuul woke them up a couple centuries later.
- Noblesse: The series opens with vampire Rai waking up after a nice 800 year nap.