Skinny Dipping YKTTW Discussion
Is This Tropable?? Rolling Updates Needs More Examples Needs a Better Description Seen It a Million Times Skinny Dipping is swimming, but without the swimsuit. In the nude. Usually, this is used in fiction for several reasons.
- Fanservice, of course. Because nothing turns people on more than water! Sometimes it's a way to get away with a nude scene without being too erotic.
- Naked People Are Funny and Gone Swimming, Clothes Stolen, which the latter is a sub-trope. Together can make a humorous situation.
- Sometimes a common element in Slasher Flicks where a skinny dipper is usually killed by the murderer.
- Samus Is a Girl. A great way to reveal their secret, right?
- To be Truth in Television.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- In the first episode of Turn A Gundam, Loran goes skinny dipping in a river and gets swept away by the current. He's rescued by a couple of girls who also happen to be skinny dipping downstream.
- Umisho is all about this.
- ElfQuest has had one or two scenes where the elves swim and sunbathe in various states of undress, including total of course.
- Happens in Bone.
- The first victim of the Shark in Jaws is a female skinny dipping.
- Forbidden Planet. Commander Adams visits Altaira while she's swimming by herself.
Altaira: Come on in!
Adams: Didn't bring my bathing suit.
Altaira: What's a bathing suit?
Adams: Oh, murder!
- A Polar Bear Club example appears in 1941 when a woman goes swimming naked off the California coast during World War 2 and winds up in a close encounter with an Japanese submarine. She's played by the same actress who was eaten while Skinny Dipping in Jaws.
- Freddy Vs.Jason begins with a girl skinny dipping.
- Black Sheep (or was it Tommy Boy?) featured a woman skinny dipping in a hotel pool while David Spade had A Date with Rosie Palms.
- National Lampoons Family Vacation has Clark swimming naked with another owman in a hotel swimming pool, only to be caught by his family.
- In Dragonslayer, there was a skinny-dipping scene between Valerian and Galen, which also had a nice helping of Samus Is a Girl for good measure.
- Tanya Roberts in/as Sheena, who has No Nudity Taboo.
- The infamous skinnydipping scene in Child Bride.
- In The Great Brain all the boys go skinny dipping in the local pond on a regular basis. One summer it was so hot even the grown men went, crowding the boys out. (Girls and women had to stay at home in their large heavy period dresses and sweat the summer out.)
- In Robert A. Heinlein's Time Enough for Love, Lazarus Long, 2000 years in the future, has to explain to his daughters / sisters / clones that people in the 20th Century actually wore clothes while swimming. They don't understand why anyone would.
- In the book series Soup the narrator and the titular character skinny dips in the book Soup and Me. However, their clothes are stolen and they are forced to "borrow" dresses to cover themselves up.
- In the Newbery book On My Honor this is an important plot point, because the protaganist Joel loses his friend Tony, who drowns (since this is a Newbery book).
- In Trial by Journal, one character does this in the hotel pool at night.
- Veronica Mars does it in one episode.
- On Smallville, Clark had a fantasy about Lana and him skinny dipping in the epsiode "Slumber".
- The opening of Petticoat Junction shows the girls skinnydipping in the water tank. In fact that's how that particular location gets its (unofficial) name, from the girls' petticoats draped over the side of the tank.
- In Modern Family we learn that when she was a teenager Claire was caught by the police skinny-dipping in a neighbor's pool.
- On Ren and Stimpy, Stimpy invites Ren to go skinny dipping while camping. Since they were already naked, this involved taking off their furs. They are then joined (to their great horror) by a whithered old man who just loves skinny dipping. And then by the man's wife, to their even greater horror. The old man later appears through the episode, practicing such activities as skinny stomping and skinny slapping.
- Mulan has the title character taking a bath in the middle of the night so as not to reveal her identity. Hilarity ensues when she discovers that some of the other soldiers had the same idea.
- Before the 1960's, it was a common practice for boys in the YMCA to swim naked in the pools,  because swimsuits were impracical back then.
- Similar to the above, it was a common practice for high school swimmers to swim nude during swimming practice, including Catholic high schoolers.
- Even some US presidents were avid skinny dippings. Some of them included John Quincy Adams and Theodore Roosevelt.