Someone wanting to shake hands to call a truce or say goodbye but the other refuses to or says he can't.
- Toy Story 3: Woody refused to shake hands with Buzz as he was leaving Sunnyside.
- Epic Mickey: Oswald suggest that him and Mickey shake and start over. But Mickey holds back and confesses to causing the Thinner Disaster.
- The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius:
- "The Eggpire Strikes Back'' Jimmy refused to shake hands with King Goobot after he disapproves of a picnic he's hosting.
- In Harry Potter, Harry does this to Draco when they meet on the train in the first book (rejecting his offer to help show Harry the "right sort" of wizard).
- In L.A. Noire, during the first investigation with the Arson desk, a patrolman shows a reluctance to shake Cole's hand since Cole was recently involved in a scandal after having an affair with a nightclub singer. Cole's partner Herschel rebukes the patrolman for his attitude, telling him 'Cole's name might be dogshit, but his hand isn't covered in it.
- Babylon 5:
- "Passing Through Gethsemane", Sheridan hesitates to shake the hand of a recent murderer who had since been "mindwiped" (had his personality and memories removed and replaced as punishment for the capital crime) and joined Brother Theo's monastic order, until Brother Theo reminds him of the value of forgiveness.
- In one episode, the artist Frasier invites over always wears a smock so she doesn't have to shake hands.