Upped for Grabs by Alnair. Changed Weapons To Tools to From Military To Mundane for now.
Great news! The war is over! Now what do we do with all these weapons we built for the war? Turn them into things civilians can use! All that scrap steel can make some heavy machinery or be used in construction. Those nuclear weapons? Fuel rods. TNT? Use it for earth-moving. Those factories that built bombers and warships? Use them to build cars. If a weapon of war does not even require conversion to be used for civilian purposes, then it doubles as an example of Mundane Utility. The Trope Namer is The Bible.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, some Tachikoma are repurposed into civilian roles after Section 9 is "disbanded". One works in a care home, and another is used in high altitude construction sites, etc. The one in the care home is "gifted" an explosive shell from a Shell-Shocked Veteran and sets of to rescue Bateau in the finale.
- Arms Dealer Yuri Orlov claims this is happening in one scene of Lord of War, when Agent Valentine catches him shipping a helicopter gunship to the African nation of Burkina Faso. Yuri claims that with all the excess hardware after the recent fall of the Soviet Union, all they can do with it all is repurpose it for civilian use. Valentine isn't fooled, especially since the missiles and bullets for the helicopter are also going to Burkina Faso, albeit to a client at a different address. Unfortunately, this was apparently a real life legal loophole at the time, and Valentine is forced to let Yuri go.
- At the start of Small Soldiers, the GloboTech Industries has basically resolved to do this by buying up companies in other industries, then using its state-of-the-art military technology to make superior products. This is how A.I. is a Crapshoot computer chips end up in the Commando Elite and Gorgonite action figures. Inverted at the end when the CEO decides to sell the toys as weapons after all.
- From The Bible: "They shall beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks and study war no more."- Isaiah 2:4
- Terran Trade Authority series by Stewart Cowley. After the Proxima War, many of the military spacecraft used in the war are converted for civilian use, e.g. by removing their weapons.
Live Action TV
- The premise of Warbot In Accounting is that a Killer Robot was repurposed and reintegrated into civilian life. Its unsuccessful attempts at doing so are played for Black Comedy.
- Schlock Mercenary:
Tohdfraug Admiral: "But if you break a sword through abuse or neglect, it's useless."Petey: "As a sword, yes. Eventually I'll be needing plowshares."
- The space-habitat of Credomar. A journalist even mentions that it was created by the 'Swords to Plowshears' project. Essentially, it's a Hyperspace Death Ray with enormous stategic value, which has been repurposed as a deep-space habitat. An Arc centers around the king of Credomar evacuating the entire population to a habitable moon somewhere in order to reactivate the weapon - not because he's looking to pick a fight with anyone, but because he's worried that The Federation - who BUILT the damn thing in the first place - may at some point declare a 'state of emergency' and fire the weapon without evacuating the population first...
- At one point Kevyn converts their terapedo supply into a Very Large Array, placing them around a solar system and using their targeting sensors to survey it without giving out radar signals. Of course, they're still fully functional teleporting missiles, which is why he calls it a Very Dangerous Array.
- Referenced by Petey when he sends the Tohdfraug invasion fleet to Andromeda to fight the Paanuri with no supply line and compares them to swords.
- In the 1939 animated short Peace on Earth, the debris of a terrible war that killed off the human species is converted into little houses made of soldier helmets and street posts made from bayonets by Woodland Creatures.
- One early Mighty Mouse cartoon shows a cheese factory making Swiss cheese by rolling wheels of regular cheese in front of a World War I Vickers machine gun, which shoots the distinctive holes in the cheese, making it Swiss.
- The Megatons to Megawatts program converts nuclear weapons into fuel rods that produce 10% of the US electricity supply.
- Nuclear power itself is an example, because for over a decade the only use of nuclear power was to build bombs, and then later to power submarines.
- The Internet. Invented for military and scientific uses when it was called ARPANET, it is now used for communication and research, if not used for other things.
- Drones such as for attack and/or for surveillance are now being used by civilians for fun and to see the sights in a bird's eye view perspective.
- The escopattera (A portmanteau of the Spanish words escopeta and guitarra, meaning "shotgun" and "guitar" respectively) is a type of guitar made from a modified gun, first invented by Colombian peace activist Cesar Lopez after seeing a soldier holding his gun like a guitar following the 2003 El Nogal Club bombing in Bogota.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.