Created By: justanid on November 22, 2012
Whenever a character asks questions to elicit a response that's not an answer.
Is This Tropable?? Up for Grabs if so.
- A hero may host a Rhetorical Quiz at an orphanage, where every answer wins a prize.
- A villain might hold a deadly Q&A session where the only answer is pain.
- An ancient alcoholic could ask passers-by why their spouse left them and why eldritch abominations live offshore.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- KoreWaZombieDesuKa: Chris paralyzes a bunch of students and launches into orbit any who answer her questions.
- Batman: [I remember the Joker doing this at least once, but I can't remember when/where. But not the Riddler, who cares a lot about answers.]
- Ronin: Sam intimidates a supposedly ex-military contact who messed up an operation. (see page quote)
- Babylon 5: When Sheridan is being held hostage & interrogated by President Clark's agents, it's all an attempt to get him to confess to treason.
- Earthworm Jim 2
"What color is Jim's red gun?"
- Koans: they're supposed to inspire a logic bomb, not to have one hand clap with fingers impacting the palm.
- Students may be familiar with a test that starts with "read the entire thing before writing anything down", followed by a lot of tough questions, with the last line being "ignore all of the above, sign & hand in".
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.