Created By: Wacky Meets Practical on December 6, 2009
How Did We Miss This One?? Oh Wait!... In television, parents are either dorky, busy, abusive, embarrassing, evil, overbearing, overprotective, absent or dead, squicky, lost, or just plain useless. But what about parents who get things right? The parents who are always there. The ones who support their children no matter what they do and attend all their events. They tell them how proud they are of them. They give out useful advice and help them on their homework. They keep their children safe without being overprotective. They punish them when they're bad and award them when they're good. But they will always love them. Through good times and bad, these parents are always there for their kids. They will sacrifice just about anything for their children, even their own lives. This parents can be the Mama Bear or the Papa Wolf, and can even be the Action Mom. They are often found in a Nuclear Family so will often consist of a Happily Married couple. They can even be a part of a Badass Family or Tag Team Family. They are also not against using Tough Love when necessary. They can also turn out to be an Open-Minded Parent. When the Good Parents aren't the actual parents of the character, it's Parental Substitute. When the Good Parents are the adoptive parents, it's Happily Adopted. If they were good parents at one time, but forcefully removed from this realm of existence, then they are DeceasedParentsAreTheBest. Examples:
- Gomez and Morticia Addams are great parents. Despite being "altogether ooky", they are still a Happily Married couple who love and adore their kids. They have rules like any other family and enjoy a lot of quality time with one another.
- Many older sitcoms such as Father Knows Best and Leave It to Beaver present parents like this.
- Brady Bunch
- Boy Meets World
- Trisha Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist was a kind and loving mother who praised her two children for their alchemy - in fact they became alchemists purely because their mother was so proud of them. Their father Hohenheim seems to fail them by abandoning them, but then we learn he left to help save the country, and now that he's back in their lives he's a good, loving father who's also proud of his kids. He even glared at a Eldritch Abomination to warn him to never mock his sons.
- Danny, Jesse, and Joey on Full House are all intended to be loving father figures to the girls.
- Blossom's dad Nick on Blossom (albeit with shades of Overprotective Dad).
- Family Matters
- Growing Pains
- Family Ties
- The Cosby Show
- Veronica Mars's father Keith
- Sanae and Akio of CLANNAD. Just about the best parents ever, if a little eccentric sometimes.
- Mr. and Mrs. Weasley from Harry Potter - a bit overprotective, but never unreasonably so.
- Kat's parents in Gunnerkrigg Court. Especially when compared to Annies lot in parenting.
- Reuven Malter's Father David in The Chosen.
- Sostratos' father Lysistratos in Over the Wine-Dark Sea
- Like Sosuke's mother Lisa in Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea - the Useless Parents would be all over the wall if you brought home a fish girl who turns into a human, but not her.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.