Enter The Gamer's Lair
A woman goes into a nerd-interest shop. Hilarity Ensues.
Alice wants to give her nerdy friend Bob a present, and what better place to look than the local hobby shop/video game/comic book store. The instant she enters the door, however, she is surrounded the fearful/puzzled/lecherous stares of the all-male denizens of the store, who are always the absolute worst representatives of geekdom. Alice may either panic at the obvious thoughts of the troglodytes facing her, or get a You Go, Girl! moment by demonstrating Gamer Girl skills. An alternate, Rated M For Manly version is to have her go into a bar or hardware store, though the reactions here will be more overtly misogynistic. Goes hand-in-hand with Nerds Are Virgins. See also There Are No Girls on the Internet for similar reactions.
- Midori Days: When Midori and Seiji undergo a "Freaky Friday" Flip, Midori must go to a hobby shop to buy doll-sized clothes for Seiji. She opens the door, and is greeted by an ominous purple fog, through which the sinister glasses of the otaku shine.
- The Sandman: Barbara buys a rare comic to put in Wanda's grave, and recalls the store owner telling her they rarely get girls with such perfect physiques outside the comics in this store.
- Something*Positive: Pee-Jee enters a gaming store, unprepared for what lies within. She is next seen in the tub, scrubbing and scrubbing to no avail.
- High Fidelity has a moment of this when Marie deSalle, a soft rock singer who Rob and his employees saw perform a set at a local bar, shows up in their record store.
- This happens whenever Penny, Bernadette or Amy visits the comic shop on The Big Bang Theory.
- El Goonish Shive: Grace has an experience like this in this strip when she goes to interview for a job in a comic book store.
- Sabrina the Teenage Witch decides to join her school's science club because she likes science. All the members are stereotypical geeks and are shocked to see her. One says "There's a girl in science club. Don't panic."
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.