Needs a Better Description
, Rolling Updates
Roller coasters can be made extremely tall and complicaed with the technology available, so why not push it farther
Often times they go so high that the riders take forever to get to the top
, and once there, they're high above the clouds! (Or all the way in low Earth orbit
!) This is purely a Rule of Funny
(or Rule of Cool
) trope, since this sort of thing could never happen in Real Life
. (or can it?
Compare Absurd Altitude
- One of the Phule's Company books takes place on a world whose hat is really liking rollercoasters, with an unfriendly competition between theme parks to build the one with the highest drop. Corrupt Politicians pass a law that no coaster can go higher than x off the ground (allegedly for safety reasons but really to preserve one park's claim on being the highest). Phule & co. build one bigger anyway - Ain't No Rule that the bottom of the rollercoaster's drop has to be above ground, so they build one where the drop ends in an underground tunnel.
- Phineas and Ferb build one of these in their backyard and into the city in the very first episode (and of course the musical version). It goes all the way into space, and they have to reenter the atmosphere. They're fine.
- In the first episode of Rocko's Modern Life, Rocko and Heffer ride a roller coaster at the carnival that goes through the clouds all the way into space (is there a trend here?), and when they come back down, the coaster is still under construction.
- In a SpongeBob SquarePants episode, SpongeBob and Patrick ride on the Fiery Fist O'Pain at Glove World, which goes just above the surface (next to the island) and when it gets to the ground, it explodes. It also has a list of side effects:
- Johnny Test
- Happens in a theme park episode of Tiny Toon Adventures.
- Occurs in at least one episode of The Fairly OddParents with 'The Spleen Puncher'.
- The Roger Rabbit Short, ''Roller Coaster Rabbit''.
- The Mighty B! has an episode like this. Bessie is too short to ride the roller coaster in question, but Happy bullies the operator into letting them ride.
- Fanboy and Chum Chum also has a roller coaster episode. Fanboy has mocked all the other kids for being nervous about the ride, and when they actually get to ride it, he's terrified and screams like a girl.
- Several theme park simulation games featured one of these on the box's cover art.