A character's idea for something goes lower and lower to the point where it is ridiculously bottom-of-the-barrel. This is done for comedy.
- This Dilbert comic has the Pointy-Haired Boss' idea for a product name severely decreasing in quality, to the point where it just becomes a combination of grunts and shrieks. When the PHB says what he thinks it should sound like, the lawyer telling him this says "That one is taken. Ours sounds more like a monkey passing a kidney stone.
- This◊ Garfield strip also had this exchange:
Jon: Garfield, weekends are my time to rear back and howl!
Jon: ...Lie down and giggle?
Jon: ...Crawl into a fetal position and whimper?
Garfield: There you go.
- The South Park episode "The Simpsons Did It". They even stole his idea for replacing the filling in chocolates with expired mayonnaise (in-universe, anyway).
- The Sponge Bob Square Pants episode "Big Pink Loser" features a variation of this, making Patrick's plan to win an award less and less ambitious:
SpongeBob: Patrick, if you wanna win an award, you have to do something.
Patrick: Hmmm...I wanna defeat the giant monkeymen and save the 9th dimension!
SpongeBob: Me too! But that sounds a little hard. Why don't we start smaller?
Patrick: I wanna defeat the little monkeymen and save the 8th dimension!
SpongeBob: The smallest you can think of.
Patrick: A job at the Krusty Krab?
SpongeBob: Yeah!! I do things at work all the time.
Patrick: Then let's go.
- Exaggerated in the The Simpsons episode Who Shot Mr. Burns. No dinner alone for Moe.