Soul Cannibal YKTTW Discussion
Consumption/digestion of souls.Description Needs Help Needs Examples
Alternative names: Soul Devourer, Eater Of Souls (not to be confused with Soul Eater)A character who consumes the souls of individuals from his own species -- or, following the broader sense of "cannibal", any sapient species -- and more or less digests them, either for nourishment or augmenting/replenishing their power. Sub-Trope of I'm a Humanitarian and Your Soul Is Mine. Often overlaps with Vampiric Draining, Cannibalism Superpower, and/or Horror Hunger. Needs a Better Description.
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- Hollows feed on human souls, and a Gillian-class Menos Hollow is created when hundreds of Hollows descend into an inter-cannibalistic frenzy and eat each other.
- The intelligent minority of Gillian -- as opposed to the mindless, bestial majority -- are also forced to devour other Hollows (Menos or otherwise), either partially or entirely, in order to avoid regressing back to a bestial state, as well as to gradually ascend the Menos evolution ladder (Gillian to Adjuchas, and then to Vasto Lorde).
- Then we have Aaroniero Arruruerie, the Noveno Espada (#9), who goes even further by combining the trope with Cannibalism Superpower, and by the time he debuted he had eaten 30,665 Hollows (including one that had assimilated a dead Soul Reaper's body via a somewhat different method).
- In Soul Eater: Humans with the weapon bloodline (essentially a gene which allows them to become an Equippable Ally) can eat the souls of other humans to grow stronger (the good guys only consume the souls of corrupted humans, villains tend to be less picky), so long as they also consume at least one witch's soul. Those that indiscriminately eat other humans slowly become Kisin.
- In C. S. Lewis' Screwtape Letters, demons eat the souls of other demons as well as of humans.
- Vampire: The Masquerade and Vampire: The Requiem: This is how vampire-on-vampire cannibalism, named "Diablerie", works.
- Raziel in Legacy of Kain is a vampire whose blood-hunger is replaced by soul-hunger.
- In Neverwinter Nights 2 expansion pack Mask of the Betrayer, your character is inflicted with a curse called 'the Spirit-eater', which requires them to periodically nourish themselves by devouring spirits. Initially it only works on elementals, fey and incorporeal undead, but you can learn how to direct the hunger at souls and corporeal undead.
- Fate/stay night: Servants can do this to replenish their Mana, though the more wholesome ones are understandably quite averse to it. In one case, the Servant -- a Chaotic Evil Anti-Villain -- expressed a preference for evil souls, because their foulness makes them that much tastier, and souls of similar alignment are easier to digest.