Do We Have This One? Needs a Better Description Needs More Examples
Former/Alt. Title: Dead Yet Awesome
Sometimes, certain Badass
characters are really awesome. So awesome in fact that not even death can do them apart from their badassery and has to step down.
While the undeads tends to be mindless corpses or shadows serving a new master, sometimes the resurrected warrior is so strong or powerful that retains his awesomeness and personality and usually powers. Of course, they won't be just some everyday zombies. They'll be some kind of revenants, wraiths or, in case of wizards, liches or vampires.
Of course, most of these guys will inevitably be evil, but it doesn't stop them from working for a good cause. Often, a brave and powerful undead warrior will be paired with a ruthless, cowardly necromancer
just to emphasise the contrast.
Contrast Came Back Strong
where the character dies but is resurrected stronger than ever, while this trope is about powerful characters who are undead but still powerful. Furthermore this is a character trope while Came Back Strong
is a plot trope. Also, please do not confuse with El Cid Ploy
See also The Undead
, Back from the Dead
, Badass Out Of Hell
, Came Back Wrong
- In One Piece during the Thriller Bark saga there are Brook, a skeleton ninja-pirate musician with a cool afro and Ryuuma, an undead samurai swordmaster. Another example could be the Special Zombie 900, Oars, the Devil.
- During the Fourth Shinobi War in Naruto, Kabuto brings back lots of extremely powerful ninjas from the past with his Edo Tensei technique. Also border with Badass Army.
- Most of the cast from Bleach, as they're all shinigami after all.
- The members of the Band of the Seven from InuYasha.
- In Hellsing, Alucard. It's rather strongly hinted that he is, in fact, Dracula, having come back to unlife multiple times via the power of the souls of those he's killed over the centuries. Which makes him about a dark as a character can get and still be a hero.
- Sid Barret from Soul Eater, a badass zombie professor.
- Reg Shoe, a zombie, from the Discworld.
- Xaltotun the acheronian warlock from Conan the Barbarian. The most feared sorcerer in the world.
- In The Mummy and its various remakes and spinoffs, Imhotep, who lives on after death as the title character.
- According to Bram Stoker, Dracula was once the Real Life historic figure often remembered as Vlad the Impaler.
- Xykon, the Big Bad from The Order of the Stick, who's both this and a Complete Monster.
- Richard and his villagers from Looking for Group. Except that Richard's undead status is debatable.
- Arthas the Lichking from World of Warcraft. In the Horde, there's Sylvanas Windrunner.
- Auron from Final Fantasy X.
- Most of the resurrected Oboro Ninjas from the PS2 version of Shinobi, especially Moritsune.