Whether it's a trip to the serengeti, jaunt through time or pulp/steampunk adventures, these are the outfits you want to wear! Subtrope of Stock Costume Traits. There's actually a few ensembles that make up this trope, here's the ones that come to mind quickly:
- Safari Outfit: Beige or tan linnen's, big brown belt, boots, probably a rifle and binoculars. Also, a safari hat, called a Pith Helmet; (monocle optional but recommended). Usually the wearer is book smart but ignorant of what they should actually wear for the expedition.
- Airman: Usually includes a Scarf of Asskicking, leather gloves, leather jacket (with wool collar to avoid Hell-Bent for Leather) and light boots. Usually has and goggles or a helmet and pistol. When the Airman travels IN SPACE! they'll probably wear a Latex Space Suit.
- The Ventures dress like this in the jungle episode of The Venture Bros..
- The Time-Traveling parents from Runaways are a good generic explorer example, with all the leather and goggles and such. These are really a several different costume tropes, some of which may merit their own page.
- Captain Ash in the TimeSplitters games.
- You can get just such a costume in Fable 2.
- Travelling Matt from Fraggle Rock, safari outfit.
- Charles Muntz from Up, aviator outfit.
- The Super Adventure Club from South Park spoofs this.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.
Three days must pass before this YKTTW is Launchworthy or Discardable