Created By: Darth Howie on October 18, 2008
- "Another such victory over the Romans and we are undone."- King Pyrrhus of Epirus upon defeating the Romans at Heraclea in the original Pyrrhic Victory
- The Dark Knight - Pretty much every time the good guys win something at ANY point in the movie it comes at HUGE cost. Might even be the movie's main theme.
- L.A. Confidential - Ed Exley has to destroy pretty much everything he cares about over the course of the movie.
- Sin City: All victories in this series are pyrrhic and then some.
- A Song of Ice and Fire: Defines Jon Snow. Even when he wins he loses.
- The Battle of the Blackwater is another excellent example.
- This trope is named after King Pyrrhus. See the quote at the top.
- Happened in so many wars it's difficult to point out only one example. This tended to be the case in just about ANY battle during World War I due to trench warfare.
- Happens in just about every Japanese RPG thanks to you being forced to fail to stop the villain from achieving great cosmic power and wrecking a big chunk of the world before you can take them down.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.