Do We Have This One?
? (If not, I will write a longer description)
Whenever there is a creature with clowing eyes (usually either magical or robotic) , the most common way to show that one died is a shot focused on the light in its eyes going out.
Seen It a Million Times
- Terminator is probably the ur-example
- Lava mutant in Batman Beyond
- Spoofed in Scary Movie III. A woman is hit by a car and ends with the engine block through her body. When she dies, the car's lights go out.
- Mordred's animated gargoile statues in JLA cartoon
- H A L 9000
- Golems in Discworld have glowing eyes that go out when they're inactive.
- Happens to Marvin in the Hitchhiker's movie. Of course he's not really dead, but the first time you see it in the theater it's very dramatic, with a hint of "did that really happen?"
- In the intro of Dawn of War II, a space marine does it when his Power Armor is pierced.
- Optimus Prime in Transformers animated movie. The authors must have had some bet on how many tropes they can fit into one death scene...