Can anyone think of a clever name which passes the "clarity" test?
Tentative Launch Titles: Scary Savior
, Terrifying Rescuer
Launching 1/28 around noon EST
The Distressed Damsel
is sitting in their cell with head in hands, or hanging by a thread from a cliff, when suddenly, the door is broken down, or a head peeps over the cliff edge. Joy turns to terror as he or she realizes it's the villain (who unbeknownst to them has made a Heel-Face Turn
,) an Eldritch Abomination
, Fluffy the Terrible
, a Killer Robot
... and so on.
Usually it'll only be temporary until someone fills the rescuee in on current events, although it may lead to Complaining About Rescues They Don't Like
. Sometimes it'll turn out they actually are
in worse danger now such as with a Villainous Rescue
A Dark Messiah
can be this on a global scale.
Compare Stockholm Syndrome
, Unwanted Rescue
, Embarrassing Rescue
Anime & Manga
- In Magi – Labyrinth of Magic, Aladdin's djinn Uugo tends to scare the crap out of whoever he's rescuing or protecting, what with him missing his head and all.
- In Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Sarah Conor is in the middle of escaping the psychiatric ward she's confined in, when suddenly a Terminator steps out of the elevator she's waiting for. She screams and runs back toward the doctors chasing her until he holds out his hand and says Come with Me If You Want to Live.
- Zig-Zagged in the original Shrek movie: at first, Fiona is not happy about being rescued by an ogre, but then comes to like Shrek. Then a gang of a handsome Robin Hood-wannabe attacks them, ostensibly with intent of saving Fiona from the "beast", but she dislikes him even more than she disliked Shrek. However, instead of calling for help, she dispatches all the attackers herself, leaving Shrek awed.
- Subverted in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.
Princess Leia: Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
Luke Skywalker: Huh? Oh! The uniform... I'm Luke Skywalker, I'm here to rescue you.
Leia: You're who?
- During The Great Raid (both the film and Real Life) some of the prisoners did not recognize the uniforms of their rescuers, and had to be coaxed out of their huts. One even hid until after the raid was over.
- In the Bones episode "The Woman in the Car", where the child Booth was rescuing was terrified until Booth told him his father's code word (Paladin).
- In Resident Evil 4 Ashley attacks Leon when he first comes through the door.
- In an episode of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Obi-wan is disguised as a slave trader, and the alien he's trying to rescue is terrified of him until he removes his helmet.
- There have been many cases of kids, raised with Stranger Danger, getting lost but then hiding from their rescuers. One case had the child sighted within a couple hours, but it was a few days before the child was finally rescued, because he kept fleeing.