Do We Have This One?
If you turn the number 6 upside down you get a 9 and vice versa
. We all know that
This trope is about those cases where these two numbers becomes a plot point. The most common (but not the only) scenarios:
- Causes some sort confusion in the plot, that doesn't allow it to advance (like the example below).
- It's used for The Reveal or a Plot Twist. Often, but not necessarily, is the Number of the Beast.
Alice is a detective and has learned from a phone call that weird things are happening in Apartment 6. She goes over there, investigates, but finds nothing. But the phone calls continue, so Alice goes again to to Apartment 6, only to find out that the apartment where she was investigating was number 9, but the 9 somehow it was unscrewed, and looked like a 6.
Needs More Examples
- This is why they put a line in the bottom of these two numbers.
Anime and Manga
- Oliver Stone's JFK was released on the 30th anniversary of the Kennedy assassination. The theatrical trailer displayed the date of said assassination--November 22, 1963--and then swiveled the 6 in 1963 around to reveal the release date for the film.
- Star Trek: Voyager had a similar ad for their 30th anniversary episode: they showed the number 1966 (Star Trek TOS's first year) and rotated the first 6 into a 9.
- In The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, the title character notices a '90' tattooed on her arm that wasn't there before. It isn't until she time leaps a few more times that she realizes it was the number of leaps she had left, and it was actually '06.'
- The Far Side: In one cartoon, a painter has just painted "999" on Satan's office door in hell. Satan doesn't look happy, and the painter says "I must have been holding the dang work order upside down!"
- In National Lampoon's European Vacation the Grizwolds spend some time with German-speaking relatives; as they leave they slam the door and the six swings down and becomes a nine, they'd been staying with strangers and didn't realize it.
- In End Of Days the Number of the Beast is really 999.
- Something like that happened in the French/British Film La Grande Vadrouille set during WW 2 with hotel room 6 and 9.
- In the film version of Minority Report there was a scene where John Anderton gets Crow's hotel room wrong due to the number 9 or 6 having a screw loose.
- This happens to Lenny in Memento causing him to bash a random motel resident in the face.
- In the Old Harry's Game there is a bit where Satan received a phone call intended for the emergency services because the caller had the phone upside down.
- Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors makes the Number 9 a plot point by having June's bracelet (a 6) actually being a 9, which allows her to open any of the doors in the game, making it an important hint to who Zero actually is.
- In the fifth case of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, a piece of evidence contains a note that reads "6-7S 12/2." However, the note was apparently written upside down and it actually reads "2/21 SL-9," tying it to another case altogether.
- In Indigo Prophecy (a.k.a Fahrenheit), Carla and Tyler are in the hotel and want to frame Lucas and they will find him in the room 369. Lucas tells Marcus to call the cops, meanwhile Carla opens room (pictured above)] with force, only to find out a couple in bed, and realizing it's room 366. She later goes to the real room 369, only to find out it's empty.