Hackette YKTTW Discussion
The impossibly amazing hacker that's screwing everything up is, much to the surprise of everyone, a woman
Alternate Redirect: Trinity Is A Girl _________________
- Trinity: "My name is Trinity."Neo: "Trinity. The Trinity? That cracked the IRS d.base? Jesus."Trinity: "What?"Neo: "I just thought um... you were a guy."Trinity: "Most guys do."
ExamplesAnime and Manga
- Everyone in Cowboy Bebop thinks Radical Edward is a boy, even after meeting her. Imagine the shock when her father shows up and gives his "baby girl" a hug!
- In Princess Lover!, Teppei is surprised to learn that his maid, Yuu Fujikura, heads an entire team of hackers (all maids, like herself). It even becomes a pivotal plot point, late in the series, when she spearheads a cyberspace counter-offensensive to regain control of the Arima Building from a group of terrorists, while simultaneously helping to disarm several remote detonated charges planted throughout the building.
- Gundam Wing has Hilde Schbeiker. While aboard White Fang's orbital base, Libra, she hacks into their mainframe to access and download vital information on Vayette and Mercurious: their latest and most advanced in their line of mobile dolls.
- Nene Romanova fills this role in Bubblegum Crisis. Much like the Princess Lover example, it becomes a plot point when Nene uses her hardsuit to hack into the AD Police mainframe (unbeknownst to her fellow officers) to regain control of the building from a terrorist and his team of rogue boomers. While, at the same time, guiding the police chief's neice to safety via the intercom.
- Sandra from the Cube 2: Hypercube
- Lisbeth Salander from The Millennium Trilogy uses this to help her hide from the police.
- Acid Burn from Hackers. She was an alpha hacker so she had a coterie of boyhackers who thought she was awesome, but Crash Override was surprised to discover she was a girl.
- Claudia, when she is hacking into the Warehouse in the first few episodes of Warehouse13, is spoken of with male pronouns until they learn her identity.
- Penelope Garcia from Criminal Minds is happy to surprise supervisors and people from other precincts with the fact she's a female.
- The Lone Gunmen has a female hacker whose real name was never revealed, but she went by Yves Adel Harlow most of the time. All her aliases were anagrams of Lee Harvey Oswald.
- An episode of Burn Notice featured a girl hacker. Not only was the fact that she was an attractive teenage girl a surprise, but she also turned out to be utterly vicious and cold-blooded, as evidenced when she drugs Michael and then ties him to a chair and rubber-bands a plastic bag over his head in an attempt to kill him via asphyxiation (luckily, Michael manages to talk his way out of it).
- This is Truth in Television for most female programmers and computer technicians (whether they fit the general usage of "hacker" or not), since it's a very male dominated profession.
- That said the Ur Example would be Ada Countess of Lovelace; who wrote a series of instructions that could have been executed by Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine (which would have been a Steampunk computer, were it built) and is often considered the world's first computer programmer (in the sense she wrote the world's first computer program).
- The techs who maintained the world's first computer (Collosus) were mostly women from the Women's Royal Navy (or "Wrens").
- There's a Not Always Right story about a guy calling tech support/bringing his computer back to the store and demanding to talk to a male employee, being incapable of accepting that women can know enough about computers to help with his problem.