Fake Muscles YKTTW Discussion
Sometimes a hard and strenuous workout isn't worth the effort to get muscles, so the next best alternative is getting fake muscles for show. Just be careful in not actually doing anything that requires great strength. Compare Fake Boobs.
Examples:Film - Animation
- Mulan: During "A Girl Worth Fighting For", Ling strides out a river proudly displaying enormous new muscles... until the water drains out of his clothes and he's back to his skinny self.
- Napoleon Dynamite: During one of Kip and Uncle Rico's lunch talks, Uncle Rico sits with his arms crossed, but is noticeably using his fists to push up his biceps.
- In Arrested Development, George Michael obtains a muscle suit to portray Adam in the Michelangelo painting The Creation of Adam. He winds up using it to impress his crush, Maeby.
- Mythbusters: host Adam Savage sometimes wears a set of fake foam muscles for laughs.
- Robotman And Monty: Monty once tried wearing the male equivalent of a corset, the "Thorset", which pushed his love handles upward so they looked like lats.
- In Space Quest 6, during a parody of an Insignia Rip-Off Ritual, Roger Wilco is stripped not only of his insignia, but also his uniform and the fake "ripped muscles" suit he's wearing under the uniform (which reveals he's actually much scrawnier underneath).
- One episode of the Strong Bad Emails at Home Star Runner had him draw a fake six-pack on his round little body with a sharpie.
- In the Classic Disney Short "The Art of Self Defense", Goofy enters a gym sporting a Top-Heavy Guy figure, until he takes off all the robes and towels he's wearing, revealing himself to be as lanky as ever.
- On the Tom and Jerry cartoon "Muscle Beach Tom", Tom sticks balloons under his bathing suit to make himself look muscular. Because the balloons keep lifting him up, he had to tie an anchor to his waist to keep from floating away. Jerry gives him away by inflating the balloons further until they pop and Tom goes flying all over the place.
- In one Pink Panther cartoon, Pink puts on an inflatable muscle suit to impress a bodybuilder.
- In an episode of The Itchy & Scratchy Show, Scratchy really does get pumped up by lifting weights but Itchy thinks he's just pulling this. Itchy pokes Scratchy with a pin, expecting his balloon muscles to explode.
- In Ren and Stimpy, in a parody of the old Charles Atlas "The Insult that Made a Man out of Mac" ads, Stimpy is humiliated at a beach, and is convinced by an Atlas stand-in (with a globe for a head!) not to exercise and get stronger, but to get a body fat transplant that looks like muscles.
- Sponge Bob Square Pants: SpongeBob obtains Anchor Arms to impress Sandy, though said arms prevent him from doing something simple as lifting a cup. By the end of the episode, his charade fails after failing to lift a heavy weight.
- X-Men: Evolution had an episode where Kurt tries to tweak his holoprojector to make himself appear muscular. It works for a while... then it malfunctions.
- In the Samurai Jack episode "Samurai versus Samurai", a supposed Bad Ass turns out to be wearing padding and a corset to look fitter than he really is.
- Make-up artists can make actors appear more muscular by creating the illusion of more muscle definition.