Kissing commonly tends to be done between two characters using their mouths, but in the case of this trope, the kissing is done without the use of mouths. This can be due to Bizarre Alien Biology, where one or both of the characters kissing may not have mouths at all, or else kissing on the mouth would make doing such a thing awkward or even dangerous. There can also be other reasons as well, such as (possibly) awkwardness. This is often done as a kiss substitute for younger audiences, and may occur as part of an Interspecies Romance. Compare Headbutt of Love and Anywhere but Their Lips (the latter still involves mouth kissing, however). Also compare Fantastic Arousal, Alternate Animal Affection and G-Rated Sex.
open/close all folders
Films — Animation
Films — Live-Action
- In Demolition Man, in the future city of San Angeles, even simply high-fiving is thought as being intimate there; people are taught not to do any meaningless physical contact.
- Two instances in the Animorphs prequel novel "The Hork-Bajir Chronicles":
- Aldrea (who has morphed into a Hork-Bajir) and Dak Hamee kiss for the first time by pressing their foreheads against each other's.
- Aldrea also mentions in her narration that it is much like what Andalites do when kissing: they stroke each other's faces with their hands, as they don't have mouths to kiss with.
- In Warrior Cats, the cats show love by cleaning each other's pelts or twining their tails together. The latter display of affection is never platonic, but the first often takes place between friends or family.
- Inverted in The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius episode "Win, Lose and Kaboom!": when April locks lips with Jimmy, he assumes that she's kissing him, but she states that it's the Gorlockan seal of trust, and has no idea what a kiss is. Averted when she does it again later, saying "that was a kiss" after Jimmy asks if that was the aforementioned seal of trust.
- At the end of every episode of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, Daniel rubs his nose at the screen as a sign of endearment while saying "ugga mugga".
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic uses nuzzling in lieu of kissing.
- Eskimo kissing is done by two people rubbing their noses against each other's.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.