Needs Launching Votes
, how's the discription? -- close enough
will launch soon -- tommorrow if there are no objections.
Most Humongous Mecha
are quite similar to humans (really big metal humans that is) or the occasional supernatural being like a centaur or an animal like a lion. This is a given in many mecha genres and makes a certain amount of sense as most of the time humans or Space Elves
are piloting them.
These Mecha do not do that, instead of say a Transforming Mecha
that is both a humanoid and a spaceship but only some of the time these vehicles sacrifice some of the human anatomy such as vestigial or altogether missing legs.
On the ground a hover mecha would be much like a Hover Tank
except with arms and possibly a torso and a head or in the air they would resemble a helicopter (or a harrier jet) with arms.
See also: Walking Tank
, Spider Tank
, Chicken Walker
, Hover Tank
, and Fog Feet
Anime and Manga
- A few examples from the Gundam:
- Mobile Suit Gundam: the MSN-02 Zeong is a legless mecha who has giant rocket boosters in lieu of legs. The Dom from the same series function as a Hover Tank thanks to its large boosters on its legs allowing it to hover at high speed.
- The Tragos and Olifant units from Mobile Suit Gundam Wing are similar, though the Tragos achieves this using an add-on that completely covers its legs.
- Classic Traveller
- Book 8 Robots. It was possible to build a robot with no legs that moved using Anti Gravity and had weapons.
- Merchants & Merchandise by Paranoia Press. The AIR Security Robot SR-15FG has no legs: it moves by Anti Gravity propulsion. It has a RAM grenade launcher and a FGMP-15 fusion gun.
- Dungeons & Dragons adventure S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. The police robots◊ aboard the ship have no legs and move via Anti Gravity units. They had a built-in laser pistol, grenade launcher, paralysis pistol and tractor/pressor beams.
- Warhammer 40K has the Necron Destroyers, which replace the legs of a Necron Immortal or Necron Lord with a hovering platform and arm them with heavier weapons.
- They also use Tomb Spyders, floating mechanical spiders.