Young Immortal's Old Friend YKTTW Discussion
|Young Immortal's Old Friend|
Two characters have a history together with the twist that the younger looking of the two is far older
Note- this is a trope I suggested previously, and couldn't find my draft when I searched for it, so hope it's ok to recreate it. Anyway, Immortality/being Really 700 Years Old makes for strange relationships in fiction. Because of the ubiquitousness of Immortal Immaturity, this leads to a strange situation in which immortals/the unnaturally long-lived will interact with people who are a lot younger than them, but look and act older. This is sometimes a good way of revealing the extreme longevity, as the older-looking character will comment that they knew the immortal when they were a child, not vice versa. This might also come up when a work actually shows the outcome of a Mayfly-December Romance.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- In Fullmetal Alchemist, miniature senior citizen Pinako first met the centuries-old Hohenheim when she was a young woman and of normal height, and seemed to have been a Bottle Fairy in her youth.
- The oldest homunculus, Pride is several centuries old but looks like a young boy; the youngest homunculus, Wrath looks like a middle aged man (still younger-looking than his actual age), because he was created from a human fairly recently. Ironically, Pride poses as Wrath's son.
- Interesting kind of example in the Night Watch series. Geser is many centuries old but looks middle aged, and discovers that he has a son who is now elderly, not to mention an an oligarch. Geser feels terrible that he missed out connecting with the man during most of his life.
- In the film of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, the elderly Allan Quatermain comments that he first met the youthful Dorian Gray when he (Allan) was a boy. Incidentally, this doesn't quite match up with the chronologies of the novels the two are from. The film is set in 1899, and while Allan is about the right age (King Solomon's Mines was published in 1885), Dorian would not actually be older than him or old period, since his novel was published in 1890, and he was in his early twenties at the start of it.
- An upcoming vampire comedy fim Vamps deals with two Friendly Neighborhood Vampires, one of whom has always devoted herself to progressive causes. The love of her life, who she met at a protest during the 1960s, is now an elderly man caring for an ailing wife, while the vampire looks like a young woman.
- John, the immortal Contemporary Caveman of The Man from Earth turns out to be the father of one of one of his fellow professors, a man who looks someone older than him (John is 14,000 years old and looks about the thirty five; the professor is in his early 60s).