A Playaround Game Mode is a endless mode where the player can do nearly anything without fear or failure.
Don't expect achievements or unlockables to be achieved in this game mode, although there may be an exception depending on the circumstances.
Subtrope of Catharsis Factor
. See also Endless Game
, if it's an endless game you can eventually lose, or Wide Open Sandbox
open/close all folders
- Nearly every fighting game out there on home consoles or computers usually has a Training Mode or Practise Mode, in which you can endlessly wail on a Training Dummy with no time limits, and the both of you being unable to be KOed.
- The Bejeweled series starting with the second game features a Zen Mode, in which you can endlessly play through an unlimited number of levels. The gems generate in such a way in that you'll always have a least one move you can do.
- In Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale, after paying off Recette's debt you can start a New Game+ (with bonuses, like a "True Card" that allows you to automatically recruit your favourite hero) or you can keep playing indefinitely and unlock the various story events and dungeons without having to worry about making payments.
- Beat Hazard features a Chill Out mode which gives you infinite lives and all perks automatically maxed out and all active, the latter normally impossible to do in other game modes. Much like in Survival or Boss Rush, once a song ends, the next song immediately starts playing while gameplay carries on.
- The final level of Rollercoaster Tycoon has the scenario goal "Have fun!". All rides and scenery are unlocked from the beginning without requiring any research, and the only constraint is your money - even then you are permitted a much bigger loan than in any other level.
Wide Open Sandbox
- Minecraft has Creative Mode, which allows you to instantly place and destroy blocks at your own leisure, allows you to fly, and makes you invincible to nearly everything. You can still die though by falling below the map and into the void, or inputting the command /kill.