Created By: Paul A on July 16, 2009
A common feature of alternate histories where the point-of-divergence is far enough back is that a Mayincatec civilization has somehow survived to the present day, and now rules a large chunk of the Americas. Like Zeppelins from Another World, generally done as a throwaway "Look how different this world is" detail, without any serious or detailed consideration of how it happened or what the geopolitical effects were. (Possibly correlated with alternate worlds where the technology level never got high enough for zeppelins.) Examples:
- Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones - mentioned during the history lesson.
- The Lord Darcy series by Randall Garrett.
- Quest Crosstime by Andre Norton
- The Mask of the Sun by Fred Saberhagen
- In A Midsummer Tempest by Poul Anderson, a crosstime traveller mentions having recently visited a world like this.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.