Thinking of a better name, such as "Like This Show, But With Mecha", or something else. There was an old TRS thread, that brought up splitting this off from Instant Awesome: Just Add Mecha!, and this is just following that up. Its Sister Tropes can be split as well if they have enough examples. Rolling Updates.
You can't fit even one giant robot in a Victorian boarding house (A Little Princess), but you can fit plenty in an interstellar war (Soukou no Strain).This is whenever a work isn't about Humongous Mecha, but a work that redoes the premise (usually a Spinoff, Spiritual Successor, or Follow the Leader), is largely about them. Say there is an old fairytale about a good spirit that has to stop a horde of The Fair Folk from invading a village. Then someone makes an adaptation where the fair folk are aliens the pilot giant robots, and the good spirit turns out to be the only one who can pilot the Super Prototype and save Earth. A Sub-Trope of Instant Awesome: Just Add Mecha! (since the source work wasn't about mecha, and the new work throws it in), Recycled In Space.
- Soukou no Strain, based off of A Little Princess.
- Gankutsuou, based off of The Count of Monte Cristo.
- Samurai 7, based off of The Seven Samurai.
- This is pretty much the entire shift for Idolmaster: Xenoglossia where The Idolmaster was basically a talent show sim.
- Kannazuki no Miko was actually based off of an older Kaishaku work known as Cross Triangle, but now with Giant Mecha named after Japanese Gods.
- In the Japanese Spider-Man show, Spider Man gets his powers and costume from an ancient alien race, and gets a car and a giant robot to go along with them.
- Xenogears is largely based on The Bible, with Humongous Mecha.
- The Dating Sim Graduation had a follow up, Sailor Victory, which was about mecha with Ninja abilities.
Hello, Unknown Troper. You'll need to get known to lend a hand here.