Wiki Development: Custom Title Renames
Thoughts on whether the custom title request feature should be used to perform renames on existing tropes.
-70 (yeas:3 nays:73)
UP, in favor of custom titles being used for renames.
DOWN, in favor of custom titles NOT being used for renames.
- Custom titles can be changed quickly using the custom-title request function.
- Doesn't require manually changing related wikilinks - custom titles are automagically applied during the wikicode rendering.
- Doesn't change the article's underlying Wiki Word or URL, no risk of breaking wikilinks or losing inbounds during rename discussions.
- The primary purpose of custom titles is to replace the ptitle system. Custom-title-renames is just a side effect.
- Not changing the article's canonical Wiki Word can create a disconnect between the source code and its (displayed) title. Specifically, the old Wiki Word is what gets displayed in the source code until it gets changed manually.
- Breaks the alphabetic listing of tropes in indexes and work pages; requires manually fixing wikilinks.
- Likewise, can break grammar if the old Wiki Word was integrated into a surrounding sentence. (e.g. "It just bugs me how..." -> "It Headscratchers me how...")
- Minor tech detail: Requires setting up a Wiki Word corresponding to the custom title so that people can use it.
Total number: 1. Number shown: 1.
Total number of votes: 76