Single Proposition: Rename The Boo Radley
Vote up for yes, down for no.
This issue has been resolved and voting is closed.
-14 (yeas:85 nays:99) Rename The Boo Radley
to rename; Down
to keep the current name.
Reasons against renaming:
- References a classic work of American literature
- Character in question is an undisputed example of the trope
- Character's name is unique enough that it is unlikely to be confused for someone else
- The LA Times article about TV Tropes mentions The Boo Radley in their writeup - it may not have brought a large flood of visitors but it ought to count for something.
Reasons For Renaming:
- To Kill a Mockingbird is not uniformly 'Required Reading' in the United States, and especially not outside of it.
- That Boo Radley is an example of this trope is a plot twist literally revealed in the last few pages, making this title a spoiler.
- Before the revelation, Boo is described as having several other character traits that are completely unrelated.
- The Boo Radley reveal is not what the book is famous for; he's a minor character role in a subplot. As such, even for people who are familiar with the work, the name may not be clear.
Total number: 1. Number shown: 1.
Total number of votes: 184