History UsefulNotes / Mensa

15th Oct '16 2:03:36 AM KYCubbie
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* Sir Jimmy Savile English DJ, actor and television/radio personality.

to:

* Sir Jimmy Savile Creator/JimmySavile English DJ, actor and television/radio personality.personality. Revealed to be a serial child molester after his death.



* Creator/QuentinTarantino ''Film/InglouriousBasterds'', ''Film/KillBill'', ''Film/PulpFiction'', etc
* Marilyn vos Savant The last person ever listed in the Guinness Book of World Records under "Highest IQ"[[note]]The category has been withdrawn. She qualifies for and is in Mega (see above under AlwaysSomeoneBetter), and the chance of someone else scoring that high - or even what scoring that high means - are up to subjective interpretation.[[/note]]

to:

* Creator/QuentinTarantino ''Film/InglouriousBasterds'', ''Film/KillBill'', ''Film/PulpFiction'', etc
etc.
* Marilyn vos Savant The last person ever listed in the Guinness Book of ''Guinness World Records Records'' under "Highest IQ"[[note]]The category has been withdrawn. She qualifies for and is in Mega (see above under AlwaysSomeoneBetter), and the chance of someone else scoring that high - or even what scoring that high means - are up to subjective interpretation.[[/note]]
7th Jun '16 3:59:44 AM Lunarcat
Is there an issue? Send a Message


*** Unfortunately we live in a world where intelligence is equated with wealth, power, and over all usefulness. If we use that height example, we need to assume that height in that scenario is equated with what we equate intelligence to. By telling a >6 foot person they didn't 'fail', they simply didn't qualify... at being useful, successful, wealthy, powerful, etc. They were born worse, less advantaged, and for that reason they cannot join. Throw in a few bad eggs snobbing it up and Mensa's public image of being a giant circlejerk starts to make sense, especially in the United States if people still think "All men are created equal" holds any water.
20th Mar '16 3:24:49 PM LavaSkies
Is there an issue? Send a Message


** Statistically, the total of people with an IQ in ''only'' the 3% range outnumbers the top 2% and 1% ranges ''added together''.
9th Mar '16 3:39:12 AM KhlavKalash
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* ThisAintRocketSurgery

to:

* ThisAintRocketSurgeryThisAintRocketSurgery: It ''can'' be, but not necessarily.
9th Mar '16 3:26:54 AM KhlavKalash
Is there an issue? Send a Message


*** Unfortunately we live in a world where intelligence is equated with wealth, power, and over all usefulness. If we use that height example, we need to assume that height in that scenario is equated with what we equate intelligence to. By telling a >6 foot person they didn't 'fail', they simply didn't qualify... at being useful, successful, wealthy, powerful, etc. They were born worse, less advantaged, and for that reason they cannot join. Throw in a few bad eggs snobbing it up and Mensa's public image of being a giant circlejerk starts to make sense, especially in teh United States if people still think "All men are created equal" holds any water.

to:

*** Unfortunately we live in a world where intelligence is equated with wealth, power, and over all usefulness. If we use that height example, we need to assume that height in that scenario is equated with what we equate intelligence to. By telling a >6 foot person they didn't 'fail', they simply didn't qualify... at being useful, successful, wealthy, powerful, etc. They were born worse, less advantaged, and for that reason they cannot join. Throw in a few bad eggs snobbing it up and Mensa's public image of being a giant circlejerk starts to make sense, especially in teh the United States if people still think "All men are created equal" holds any water.
9th Mar '16 3:22:51 AM KhlavKalash
Is there an issue? Send a Message


** It's important to note that of the 6 million or so people in the USA with IQ's qualifying for Mensa membership, only a fraction that percent of them ever join Mensa. Some feel it's a little prideful to join the organization. Some people think the members are full of themselves. It is true that with high IQ often comes a low emotional IQ and a group of people with low emotional IQs is certainly a weird group - this applies to top 2% members and non members alike.

to:

** It's important to note that of the 6 million or so people in the USA with IQ's qualifying for Mensa membership, only a fraction that percent of them ever join Mensa. Some feel it's a little prideful to join the organization. Some people think the members are full of themselves. It is true that with high IQ often comes a low emotional IQ and a group of people with low emotional IQs [=IQs=] is certainly a weird group - this applies to top 2% members and non members alike.
19th Jan '16 4:05:56 AM pittsburghmuggle
Is there an issue? Send a Message


** It's important to note that of the 6 million or so people in the USA with IQ's qualifying for Mensa membership, only about 1% of them ever join Mensa. Some feel it's a little prideful to join the organization. Some people think the members are full of themselves. It is true that with high IQ often comes a low emotional IQ and a group of people with low emotional IQs is certainly a weird group.

to:

** It's important to note that of the 6 million or so people in the USA with IQ's qualifying for Mensa membership, only about 1% a fraction that percent of them ever join Mensa. Some feel it's a little prideful to join the organization. Some people think the members are full of themselves. It is true that with high IQ often comes a low emotional IQ and a group of people with low emotional IQs is certainly a weird group.group - this applies to top 2% members and non members alike.
19th Jan '16 4:04:04 AM pittsburghmuggle
Is there an issue? Send a Message


** It's important to note that of the 6 million or so people in the USA with IQ's qualifying for Mensa membership, only about 1% of them ever join Mensa. Many of the remaining 99% view Mensa as a sort of "Who's Who" type racket, populated by people who lack the drive to work on intellectually challenging pursuits, but still feel the need to congratulate themselves for being blessed with potential. Most smart people pride themselves on the accomplishments they earned, because it's normal for people to value hard work and perseverance. The fact some Mensans think it's appropriate to put their membership on their resume, and any criticism of this act is because "dumb" people would be intimidated, speaks to the disconnect between Mensa members and what normal people (of all intelligence levels) find worthy of pride and indicative of value to a potential employer.

to:

** It's important to note that of the 6 million or so people in the USA with IQ's qualifying for Mensa membership, only about 1% of them ever join Mensa. Many of the remaining 99% view Mensa as a sort of "Who's Who" type racket, populated by people who lack the drive to work on intellectually challenging pursuits, but still Some feel the need to congratulate themselves for being blessed with potential. Most smart people pride themselves on the accomplishments they earned, because it's normal for a little prideful to join the organization. Some people to value hard work and perseverance. The fact some Mensans think it's appropriate to put their membership on their resume, and any criticism of this act is because "dumb" people would be intimidated, speaks to the disconnect between Mensa members are full of themselves. It is true that with high IQ often comes a low emotional IQ and what normal a group of people (of all intelligence levels) find worthy of pride and indicative of value to with low emotional IQs is certainly a potential employer.weird group.
18th Jan '16 4:28:02 PM alchemy3083
Is there an issue? Send a Message

Added DiffLines:

** It's important to note that of the 6 million or so people in the USA with IQ's qualifying for Mensa membership, only about 1% of them ever join Mensa. Many of the remaining 99% view Mensa as a sort of "Who's Who" type racket, populated by people who lack the drive to work on intellectually challenging pursuits, but still feel the need to congratulate themselves for being blessed with potential. Most smart people pride themselves on the accomplishments they earned, because it's normal for people to value hard work and perseverance. The fact some Mensans think it's appropriate to put their membership on their resume, and any criticism of this act is because "dumb" people would be intimidated, speaks to the disconnect between Mensa members and what normal people (of all intelligence levels) find worthy of pride and indicative of value to a potential employer.
7th Dec '15 8:36:53 PM Syzygy23
Is there an issue? Send a Message


*** Unfortunately we live in a world where intelligence is equated with wealth, power, and over all usefulness. If we use that height example, we need to assume that height in that scenario is equated with what we equate intelligence to. By telling a >6 foot person they didn't 'fail', they simply didn't qualify... at being useful, successful, wealthy, powerful, etc. They were born worse, less advantaged, and for that reason they cannot join.

to:

*** Unfortunately we live in a world where intelligence is equated with wealth, power, and over all usefulness. If we use that height example, we need to assume that height in that scenario is equated with what we equate intelligence to. By telling a >6 foot person they didn't 'fail', they simply didn't qualify... at being useful, successful, wealthy, powerful, etc. They were born worse, less advantaged, and for that reason they cannot join. Throw in a few bad eggs snobbing it up and Mensa's public image of being a giant circlejerk starts to make sense, especially in teh United States if people still think "All men are created equal" holds any water.
This list shows the last 10 events of 299. Show all.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/article_history.php?article=UsefulNotes.Mensa