Toggle Random Buttons
Browse the Tropes
Ask the Tropers
Recent Page Type Changes
Follow TV Tropes
Browse TV Tropes
Ask The Tropers
You Know That Show...
Trope Launch Pad
Crime & Punishment
Music And Sound Effects
Characters As Device
Laws And Formulas
Truth And Lies
Truth In Television
Fate And Prophecy
You need to
to do this.
if you don't have an account
History Tearjerker / TheShawshankRedemption
Back To: Tearjerker / TheShawshankRedemption
11th Oct '17 8:04:41 AM
Is there an issue?
Send a Message
''[[caption-width-right:350:[[DrivenToSuicide Brooks was here]]]]''
* [[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kotNxb2YApk "Brooks Was Here"]]. He is an old man devastated by the news of his parole after nearly 50 years' imprisonment, who resorts to attacking Heywood to prevent his imminent release, breaking down into tears when stopped. Once he's a free man, he's overwhelmed by modern life, especially cars, and barely able to keep up at his convenience store job due to his ailing hands and unsympathetic customers. He has nightmares every night, because [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institutional_syndrome he is so institutionalized]] that he is completely [[StrangerInAFamiliarLand out of place]] in this brave new world.
-->'''Brooks''': I don't like it here. I'm tired of being afraid all the time. [[DrivenToSuicide I've decided not to stay]]. I doubt they'll kick up any fuss - not for an old crook like me.
** Red's words also hurt.
---> ''He should've died in here.''
* Andy's "Get busy living" speech and his conversation with Red that ensues as Andy desperately clings to his last happy memory and his only dream for the future while Red reflects on just how worthless his life will be once he does get out and how hope is just a "shitty pipe dream". The music does not help. Like at all. Of course this all gets ''completely'' turned on its head later but still....
* After trying his hardest to get his High School diploma so he wouldn't be a complete waste in life, having a young wife and kid, and then succeeding at getting it and willing to help out Andy, [[spoiler: Tommy's death]] being ordered by the Warden came as an immense and tragic shock.
* Red's closing narration on Andy's escape:
-->'''Red:''' It still hurts sometimes-- Andy being gone. I have to tell myself every day that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up ''does'' rejoice. But still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty now that they're gone. I guess I just miss my friend.
* The ending [[spoiler: with Red and Andy finally reunited on a beach in Mexico]] is sure to reduce anyone to TearsOfJoy after so many emotionally devastating moments.
Sandbox.Pages In Accidentally Miscapitalised Namespaces First Half
This list shows the last 1 events of 1.