History Main / UselessUsefulSpell

17th May '16 1:19:19 PM Willbyr
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* ''VideoGame/KingdomHearts358DaysOver2''. Granted, Status hasn't really been used in most ''VideoGame/KingdomHearts'' games outside of maybe Stop or Magnet, 358/2 days uses them. Despite that several moves don't really apply to enemies (Such as InterfaceScrew or control-jacking), Burning, freezing, and air-knocking are perhaps ''the'' most effective ways to kill [[ThatOneBoss That One Enemy]]...the Emerald Serenade.

to:

* ''VideoGame/KingdomHearts358DaysOver2''. Granted, Status hasn't really been used in most ''VideoGame/KingdomHearts'' ''Franchise/KingdomHearts'' games outside of maybe Stop or Magnet, 358/2 days uses them. Despite that several moves don't really apply to enemies (Such as InterfaceScrew or control-jacking), Burning, freezing, and air-knocking are perhaps ''the'' most effective ways to kill [[ThatOneBoss That One Enemy]]...the Emerald Serenade.



** At higher levels in ''KingdomHearts'', Gravity becomes a very useful attack, especially against EliteMooks like the Behemoth. Continually cating Gravity on his horn will deplete his health far faster then keyblade combos will, at least when he still has high HP. Also, during the NoGearLevel sequence, Gravity is the only damage-dealing spell that still does useful damage, since it's percentage based, and not based on Sora's Magic stat.

to:

** At higher levels in ''KingdomHearts'', ''Kingdom Hearts'', Gravity becomes a very useful attack, especially against EliteMooks like the Behemoth. Continually cating Gravity on his horn will deplete his health far faster then keyblade combos will, at least when he still has high HP. Also, during the NoGearLevel sequence, Gravity is the only damage-dealing spell that still does useful damage, since it's percentage based, and not based on Sora's Magic stat.
2nd May '16 9:28:18 PM billybobfred
Is there an issue? Send a Message


** [[http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=1544 Shelkin Brownie]] has the ability to remove "bands with other" abilities from creatures. At the time it was printed, there were literally ''zero'' creatures with printed "bands with other" abilities. There's a creature that can create tokens with a "bands with other" ability, and a cycle of lands that can grant your Legendary creatures "bands with other legends". But the tokens cost a ridiculous amount, and the lands had the drawback of being unable to ''produce mana''. So nobody ever actually ''used'' "bands with other" anyway.

to:

** [[http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=1544 Shelkin Brownie]] has the ability to remove "bands with other" abilities from creatures. At the time it was printed, there were literally ''zero'' creatures with printed "bands with other" abilities. There's a creature that can create tokens with a "bands with other" ability, and a cycle of lands that can grant your Legendary creatures "bands with other legends". But the tokens cost a ridiculous amount, and the lands had the drawback of being unable to ''produce mana''. On top of all that, "bands with other" was ''already'' a UselessUsefulSpell, as it was a variant of the weak and confusing "banding" ability that managed to be even weaker and more confusing. So nobody ever actually ''used'' "bands with other" anyway.
11th Apr '16 6:41:13 AM bificommander
Is there an issue? Send a Message


Of course, when any enemy possesses such spells, [[TheComputerIsACheatingBastard they will invariably be effective when used on you]], unless you happen to be wearing a type of armor that protects against such attacks or status effects. Even if the computer plays fair, a spell may still end up this way. The expendable hordes of enemy {{NPCs}} don't need to worry about exposing themselves to danger or wasting resources if the spell fails, and [[EvilOnlyHasToWinOnce they only need the spell to work once to give the player a Game Over]]. In many cases, this explains the presence of the spell; it's not so useful in the player's hands, but when the enemy uses it against the party, it's a significant threat.

to:

Of course, when any enemy possesses such spells, [[TheComputerIsACheatingBastard they will invariably be effective when used on you]], unless you happen to be wearing a type of armor that protects against such attacks or status effects. Even if the computer plays fair, a spell may still end up this way. The expendable hordes of enemy {{NPCs}} [=NPCs=] don't need to worry about exposing themselves to danger or wasting resources if the spell fails, and [[EvilOnlyHasToWinOnce they only need the spell to work once to give the player a Game Over]]. In many cases, this explains the presence of the spell; it's not so useful in the player's hands, but when the enemy uses it against the party, it's a significant threat.
11th Apr '16 6:39:14 AM bificommander
Is there an issue? Send a Message


Of course, when any enemy possesses such spells, [[TheComputerIsACheatingBastard they will invariably be effective when used on you]], unless you happen to be wearing a type of armor that protects against such attacks or status effects. Even if the computer plays fair, a spell may still end up this way, because the hordes of enemy NPCs don't need to worry about exposing themselves to danger or wasting resources, and EvilOnlyHasToWinOnce. For instance a spell that has an effective 30% chance of killing your target but a 70% of screwing yourself would be a terrible deal for players but devastating in the hands of the enemy. In many cases, this explains the presence of the spell; it's not so useful in the player's hands, but when the enemy uses it against the party, it's a significant threat.

to:

Of course, when any enemy possesses such spells, [[TheComputerIsACheatingBastard they will invariably be effective when used on you]], unless you happen to be wearing a type of armor that protects against such attacks or status effects. Even if the computer plays fair, a spell may still end up this way, because the way. The expendable hordes of enemy NPCs {{NPCs}} don't need to worry about exposing themselves to danger or wasting resources, and EvilOnlyHasToWinOnce. For instance a resources if the spell that has an effective 30% chance of killing your target but a 70% of screwing yourself would be a terrible deal for players but devastating in fails, and [[EvilOnlyHasToWinOnce they only need the hands of spell to work once to give the enemy.player a Game Over]]. In many cases, this explains the presence of the spell; it's not so useful in the player's hands, but when the enemy uses it against the party, it's a significant threat.
11th Apr '16 6:36:44 AM bificommander
Is there an issue? Send a Message


Of course, when any enemy possesses such spells, [[TheComputerIsACheatingBastard they will invariably be effective when used on you]], unless you happen to be wearing a type of armor that protects against such attacks or status effects. In many cases, this explains the presence of the spell; it's not so useful in the player's hands, but when the enemy uses it against the party, it's a significant threat.

to:

Of course, when any enemy possesses such spells, [[TheComputerIsACheatingBastard they will invariably be effective when used on you]], unless you happen to be wearing a type of armor that protects against such attacks or status effects. Even if the computer plays fair, a spell may still end up this way, because the hordes of enemy NPCs don't need to worry about exposing themselves to danger or wasting resources, and EvilOnlyHasToWinOnce. For instance a spell that has an effective 30% chance of killing your target but a 70% of screwing yourself would be a terrible deal for players but devastating in the hands of the enemy. In many cases, this explains the presence of the spell; it's not so useful in the player's hands, but when the enemy uses it against the party, it's a significant threat.
4th Apr '16 11:08:37 PM Ferot_Dreadnaught
Is there an issue? Send a Message


** The VideoGame/MassEffect2 version of Stasis also gets pegged into this trope, despite actually being one of the most devastating status effects if used correctly. There are three reasons for why Stasis is good. The first is it is one of the few non-damage oriented abilities in the game that actually works without removing enemy defenses first. The second reason is that enemies hit with Stasis take significantly more damage between the time Stasis wears off and when they get back on their feet.[[note]]This is an intended effect, when Stasis wears off the enemy ragdolls and falls to the floor, both of which cause damage x2 while in effect for a total of x4[[/note]] You can legitimately one shot many enemies in this time period. The third is a bug which for a brief moment causes the difficulty level to not be taken into account when dealing damage meaning that enemies take damage as though the game were at Easy difficulty regardless of the actual difficulty, so while it is supposed to allow you to deal massive damage to enemies as part of the design it ends up being BeneficialBug overkill and one hit killing them. The major point is that none of this is listed in the game so most players look at the immediate effect of the ability, which isn't that useful most of the time, without ever realizing about the damage boost when it wears off.

to:

** The VideoGame/MassEffect2 version of Stasis also gets pegged into this trope, despite actually being one of the most devastating status effects if used correctly. There are three reasons for why Stasis is good. The first is it is one of the few non-damage oriented abilities in the game that actually works without removing enemy defenses first. The second reason is that enemies hit with Stasis take significantly more damage between the time Stasis wears off and when they get back on their feet.[[note]]This is an intended effect, when Stasis wears off the enemy ragdolls and falls to the floor, both of which cause damage x2 while in effect for a total of x4[[/note]] You can legitimately one shot many enemies in this time period. The third is a bug which for a brief moment causes the difficulty level to not be taken into account when dealing damage meaning that enemies take damage as though the game were at Easy difficulty regardless of the actual difficulty, so while it is supposed to allow you to deal massive damage to enemies as part of the design it ends up being BeneficialBug GoodBadBug overkill and one hit killing them. The major point is that none of this is listed in the game so most players look at the immediate effect of the ability, which isn't that useful most of the time, without ever realizing about the damage boost when it wears off.
7th Mar '16 8:58:38 AM Loekman3
Is there an issue? Send a Message

Added DiffLines:

*** This also makes Taunt an incredibly practical in competitive metagame when compared towards the in-game battling as status moves such as Recover, Stealth Rock, Roar which are normally impractical compared going all-offensive has a much greater presence to the point that Taunt becomes incredibly useful when against Stall teams.
11th Feb '16 3:05:16 PM KantonKage
Is there an issue? Send a Message


!!Aversions and Parodies:

to:

!!Aversions [[folder:Aversions and Parodies:Parodies:]]


Added DiffLines:

[[/folder]]
25th Jan '16 6:08:42 AM Mad_Spy
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* In some ways the blast weapons of ''TabletopGame/{{Warhammer 40000}}'' is starting to turn this way. Most blast weapons are quite powerful, especially heavy ordinance weapons, but due to the new way of resolving Blast weapons, you'd be pretty lucky if the shot land anywhere near your intended target (it's entirely possible that the shot will make a "return to sender" move, and there's a good chance of it happening too!). While a Space Marine can be very accurate with his aim-based Krak Missile, he is a worse shot than a drunk stormtrooper when it comes to firing the explosive Frag variant. Both missiles are fired from the same weapon.

to:

* In some ways the blast weapons of ''TabletopGame/{{Warhammer 40000}}'' is starting to turn this way. Most blast weapons are quite powerful, especially heavy ordinance ordnance weapons, but due to the new way of resolving Blast weapons, you'd be pretty lucky if the shot land anywhere near your intended target (it's entirely possible that the shot will make a "return to sender" move, and there's a good chance of it happening too!). While a Space Marine can be very accurate with his aim-based Krak Missile, he is a worse shot than a drunk stormtrooper when it comes to firing the explosive Frag variant. Both missiles are fired from the same weapon.
24th Jan '16 4:11:46 PM AzureSeas
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* ''[[VideoGame/LegendOfHeroesTrailsInTheSky The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky]]'' has Chaos Brand, which causes confusion. Well, confusion isn't normally one of the more powerful status effects in an RPG and this game is no exception, but the spell has a 100% success rate against any enemy that isn't outright immune to it, and it's one of the cheapest spells to cast—at 10 EP—to boot. In fact, status effects aren't too shabby in general in Trails in the Sky; while they're not as exploitable as the aforementioned sleep spells in Radiant Historia, there are a number of abilities that have a chance of causing things like petrify, freeze, mute, or even instant death in addition to doing damage, and with proper [[PowersAsPrograms quartz]] setup, you can make ''any'' attack have a 10% chance of causing a given status effect. And again, the chance of the status hitting is entirely dependent on the method of activation; the only possible enemy resistance levels are "none" or "complete".

to:

* ''[[VideoGame/LegendOfHeroesTrailsInTheSky The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky]]'' ''VideoGame/TheLegendOfHeroesTrailsInTheSky'' has Chaos Brand, which causes confusion. Well, confusion isn't normally one of the more powerful status effects in an RPG and this game is no exception, but the spell has a 100% success rate against any enemy that isn't outright immune to it, and it's one of the cheapest spells to cast—at 10 EP—to boot. In fact, status effects aren't too shabby in general in Trails in the Sky; while they're not as exploitable as the aforementioned sleep spells in Radiant Historia, there are a number of abilities that have a chance of causing things like petrify, freeze, mute, or even instant death in addition to doing damage, and with proper [[PowersAsPrograms quartz]] setup, you can make ''any'' attack have a 10% chance of causing a given status effect. And again, the chance of the status hitting is entirely dependent on the method of activation; the only possible enemy resistance levels are "none" or "complete".
This list shows the last 10 events of 216. Show all.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/article_history.php?article=Main.UselessUsefulSpell