History Main / Neologism

31st May '17 8:39:23 PM PaulA
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* ''Literature/StrangerInAStrangeLand'': 'Grok': Grok means to understand so thoroughly that the observer becomes a part of the observed, to merge, blend, intermarry, lose identity in group experience. It means almost everything that we mean by religion, philosophy, and science, and it means as little to us (because of our Earthly assumptions) as color means to a blind man. Author Creator/RobertAHeinlein also coined 'Literature/{{waldo}}' as a term for remotely controlled robotic arms in a short story of the same name. Specifically, a "waldo" is a device which is controlled by moving a model of the device; usually a pair of robotic hands that are controlled by sensors in a pair of gloves. This allows things to be worked on remotely or for someone to control a much larger/smaller version of their own hands.

to:

* Creator/RobertAHeinlein:
**
''Literature/StrangerInAStrangeLand'': 'Grok': Grok means to understand so thoroughly that the observer becomes a part of the observed, to merge, blend, intermarry, lose identity in group experience. It means almost everything that we mean by religion, philosophy, and science, and it means as little to us (because of our Earthly assumptions) as color means to a blind man. Author Creator/RobertAHeinlein also coined 'Literature/{{waldo}}' as a term for remotely controlled robotic arms in a short story of the same name. Specifically, a "waldo" is a man.
** "Literature/{{Waldo}}": 'waldo': A
device which is controlled by moving a model of the device; usually a pair of robotic hands that are controlled by sensors in a pair of gloves. This allows things to be worked on remotely or for someone to control a much larger/smaller version of their own hands.
7th May '17 12:48:47 PM Xtifr
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* The movements of Spinfer and Mawk in WelkinWeasels are described as "smooling". The narrator points out that this isn't a real word but it describes the action perfectly.

to:

* The movements of Spinfer and Mawk in WelkinWeasels ''Literature/WelkinWeasels'' are described as "smooling". The narrator points out that this isn't a real word but it describes the action perfectly.
22nd Apr '17 7:58:45 PM Malady
Is there an issue? Send a Message

Added DiffLines:

* ''Literature/WhateleyUniverse'': ''Buttercuppy'': From [[http://whateleyacademy.net/index.php/371 The Three Little Witches]]:
** When it's first used:
--> A figure appeared out of the gloom, conspicuous in a bright yellow dress with an eye-catching ruffled skirt. “Guys?” she called. “You there? I’m not too late, am I?”
--> “Clover? What IS that you’re wearing?”
--> “Oh this old thing? Oh, I’ve had it hanging in my closet forever and-”
--> “Why did you wear THAT?” Pally demanded, waving her arms in the air.
--> “Oh, I was just feelin’ buttercuppy today,” Clover giggled as she stuck out her tongue and twirled around.
--> “Clover, ‘buttercuppy’ isn’t even a word.”
--> “Yes it is! How could I say it, if it wasn’t a word?”
** And then again, presumably due to security spying on them. Or just coincidence... Which might not be so coincidental, given Clover's luck powers:
--> “Hey, if we were trying to break into that house WHY would she be wearing yellow?” Pally pointed at Clover.
--> “You were feeling buttercuppy?”
--> “YEAH!” Clover piped, “Buttercuppy! SEE? Buttercuppy IS a word!”
22nd Apr '17 7:41:56 AM DaibhidC
Is there an issue? Send a Message

Added DiffLines:

* "Oobleck" from Creator/DrSeuss's ''Bartholomew and the Oobleck'' is a strange gloopy material that falls from the sky when the king demands a new kind of weather. The name has since been used for a non-Newtonian fluid (i.e. strange gloopy material) that you can make in your own home.
22nd Mar '17 12:13:31 PM FordPrefect
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* Know what "dord" means? Density is represented in science by D, or alternatively by d. This was submitted to Webster's Dictionary as, "D or d: a term used in science to mean density." Of course, someone misread it, and for decades "dord" was in the dictionary.

to:

* Know what "dord" means? Density is represented in science by D, or alternatively by d. This was submitted to Webster's Dictionary as, as "D or d: a term used in science to mean density." Of course, someone misread it, and for decades "dord" was in the dictionary.
22nd Mar '17 12:12:42 PM FordPrefect
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* During prohibition, a magazine held a contest to create a word for a person who illegally drank alcohol. Mr Henry Irving Dale and Miss Kate L. Butler both send in the winning entry, ''scofflaw'', and thus shared the $200 prize. This word is still used today for anyone who ignores a minor law.

to:

* During prohibition, a magazine held a contest to create a word for a person who illegally drank alcohol. Mr Henry Irving Dale and Miss Kate L. Butler both send sent in the winning entry, ''scofflaw'', and thus shared the $200 prize. This word is still used today for anyone who ignores a minor law.
14th Feb '17 1:50:10 PM TheNicestGuy
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* ''Franchise/StarWars'' gave us the droid, a shortened form of android even though it applies to all autonomous robotic creatures in the ''Star Wars'' universe, not just those that resemble humanoids.

to:

* ''Franchise/StarWars'' gave us the droid, popularized ''droid'', a shortened form of android even though it applies to all autonomous robotic creatures in the ''Star Wars'' universe, not just those that resemble humanoids.humanoids. Although you'll hear the word in general use, you ''won't'' find it in any other commercial sci-fi media because it's actually a registered trademark of Lucasfilm. Verizon and Motorola had to get a license to use it as a mobile phone brand name.
27th Dec '16 3:46:42 AM Morgenthaler
Is there an issue? Send a Message


** According to ''Don't Panic: Douglas Adams and the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy'' by Creator/NeilGaiman, it was directly swiped from Adams's English teacher, although Adams later aknowledged that ''he'' may have swiped it from Jennings. Ironically, it was then swiped from Adams and Lloyd by an ad agency under the name "Oxtail English Dictionary" - the title Lloyd came up with when using them as space fillers in the ''NotTheNineOClockNews'' calendar prior to making them a book.

to:

** According to ''Don't Panic: Douglas Adams and the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy'' by Creator/NeilGaiman, it was directly swiped from Adams's English teacher, although Adams later aknowledged that ''he'' may have swiped it from Jennings. Ironically, it was then swiped from Adams and Lloyd by an ad agency under the name "Oxtail English Dictionary" - the title Lloyd came up with when using them as space fillers in the ''NotTheNineOClockNews'' ''Series/NotTheNineOClockNews'' calendar prior to making them a book.
23rd Dec '16 9:20:10 AM ImperialMajestyXO
Is there an issue? Send a Message


[[folder:Music]]
* Music/SteveMiller spoke of the "Pompatus of Love" in "The Joker" and the earlier, less well-known song "Enter Maurice." This word, spelled "pompitous" in the printed lyrics of "Enter Maurice," was a corruption of "puppetutes" (a {{portmanteau}} of "puppet" and "prostitutes"), which was used in the Medallions' 1954 hit "The Letter."
* Music/{{Unhalfbricking}}, the title of Music/FairportConvention's third album, came about in the course of a word game the band were playing to pass the time between gigs. The idea was for each player in turn to add one letter at either end of a word, in such a way that the resulting fragment could be the beginning of a real dictionary word but not such a word itself.
[[/folder]]


Added DiffLines:

[[folder:Music]]
* Music/SteveMiller spoke of the "Pompatus of Love" in "The Joker" and the earlier, less well-known song "Enter Maurice." This word, spelled "pompitous" in the printed lyrics of "Enter Maurice," was a corruption of "puppetutes" (a {{portmanteau}} of "puppet" and "prostitutes"), which was used in the Medallions' 1954 hit "The Letter."
* Music/{{Unhalfbricking}}, the title of Music/FairportConvention's third album, came about in the course of a word game the band were playing to pass the time between gigs. The idea was for each player in turn to add one letter at either end of a word, in such a way that the resulting fragment could be the beginning of a real dictionary word but not such a word itself.
[[/folder]]
26th Jun '16 9:07:05 PM PaulA
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* The narrator of Dostoevsky's novel ''Demons'' coins the term "Shigalyovism" (''"Shigalyovschina"'', in Russian), describing the ideology of a minor character. A member of the town's secret cadre of nihilists, who range from laughable idiots to terrifying psychopaths, Shigalyov argues that [[PoweredByAForsakenChild it is legitimate to subject 90% of humanity to abject slavery in order that the remaining 10% may enjoy a utopian paradise]]. The term came into common usage in Russia during the Stalinist era, for obvious reasons.

to:

* The narrator of Dostoevsky's novel ''Demons'' ''Literature/{{Demons}}'' coins the term "Shigalyovism" (''"Shigalyovschina"'', in Russian), describing the ideology of a minor character. A member of the town's secret cadre of nihilists, who range from laughable idiots to terrifying psychopaths, Shigalyov argues that [[PoweredByAForsakenChild it is legitimate to subject 90% of humanity to abject slavery in order that the remaining 10% may enjoy a utopian paradise]]. The term came into common usage in Russia during the Stalinist era, for obvious reasons.
This list shows the last 10 events of 59. Show all.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/article_history.php?article=Main.Neologism