History Main / MagicMisfire

9th Aug '16 12:25:44 PM StFan
Is there an issue? Send a Message


!!Examples

to:

!!Examples
!!Examples:



[[folder: Anime ]]

to:

[[folder: Anime ]][[folder:Anime & Manga]]



* Negi Springfield of ''Manga/MahouSenseiNegima'' had a bad habit of accidentally invoking wind magic whenever he [[SneezeOfDoom sneezed]]. This normally resulted in a sudden gust of wind (always around girls wearing skirts, [[PantyShot for some reason]]), or a [[ClothingDamage clothes-shredding]] disarming spell. Once, however, it helped him win a BeamOWar.
** Despite not having any special or magical ability of her own, [[{{Shotacon}} Yukihiro Ayaka]] managed to pull what is called a ''Pactio Backfire''; because of her [[ThePowerOfLove extreme affection]] for Negi, she [[BeyondTheImpossible managed to reverse the Pactio system]] and nearly gave ''him'' a Pactio card instead of the other way around.
* In what has to be the strangest example, in ''{{VisualNovel/Happiness}}'', two boys hit with a combination of attack, defense, and butterfly spells are turned into [[AttractiveBentGender magically sexy girls]] until expending a one-time magic charge.
** Actually, Magic Misfires happen all the time in ''Happiness!''. Especially when that magic-user tries any ''MundaneUtility''.

to:

* ''Manga/MahouSenseiNegima'':
**
Negi Springfield of ''Manga/MahouSenseiNegima'' had has a bad habit of accidentally invoking wind magic whenever he [[SneezeOfDoom sneezed]]. sneezes]]. This normally resulted results in a sudden gust of wind (always around girls wearing skirts, [[PantyShot for some reason]]), or a [[ClothingDamage clothes-shredding]] disarming spell. Once, however, it helped helps him win a BeamOWar.
** Despite not having any special or magical ability of her own, [[{{Shotacon}} Yukihiro Ayaka]] managed manages to pull what is called a ''Pactio Backfire''; because of her [[ThePowerOfLove extreme affection]] for Negi, she [[BeyondTheImpossible managed to reverse the Pactio system]] and nearly gave ''him'' a Pactio card instead of the other way around.
* ''VisualNovel/{{Happiness}}'':
** Magic Misfires happen all the time in the show. Especially when that magic-user tries any ''MundaneUtility''.
**
In what has to be the strangest example, in ''{{VisualNovel/Happiness}}'', two boys hit with a combination of attack, defense, and butterfly spells are turned into [[AttractiveBentGender magically sexy girls]] until expending a one-time magic charge.
** Actually, Magic Misfires happen all the time in ''Happiness!''. Especially when that magic-user tries any ''MundaneUtility''.
charge.



* A common problem when attempting more powerful kidou in ''{{Manga/Bleach}}'', Renji in particular seems to have every other kidou he cast explode in his face.
** Renji [[InvokedTrope Invoked]] this against [[MadScientist Szayel Aparro Granz]] as part of a distraction ploy for Uryu's attack. [[spoiler: It didn't work. It damaged him, but they didn't account for the fact that Szayel could eat his subordinates for healing. In the end it just resulted in a hurt Renji and [[ClothingDamage Clothing Damage]]]]

to:

* A common problem when attempting more powerful kidou in ''{{Manga/Bleach}}'', ''Manga/{{Bleach}}''; Renji in particular seems to have every other kidou he cast explode in his face.
**
face. Renji [[InvokedTrope Invoked]] Invokes]] this against [[MadScientist Szayel Aparro Granz]] as part of a distraction ploy for Uryu's attack. [[spoiler: It didn't [[spoiler:It doesn't work. It damaged damages him, but they didn't account for the fact that Szayel could eat his subordinates for healing. In the end it just resulted results in a hurt Renji and [[ClothingDamage Clothing Damage]]]]ClothingDamage]].



* One episode of ''Anime/DigimonAdventure'' had several Digimon trying and hilariously failing to digivolve, due to having no energy. It took Agumon a while to notice.

to:

* One episode of ''Anime/DigimonAdventure'' had has several Digimon trying and hilariously failing to digivolve, due to having no energy. It took takes Agumon a while to notice.



* Spells going wrong and being played for comedy occur so often in ''{{Franchise/Jewelpet}}'' that it'd need its own page. In the first season, almost every spell that protagonist Ruby tries to cast ends in an explosion that sends everyone flying, for example.

to:

* Spells going wrong and being played for comedy occur so often in ''{{Franchise/Jewelpet}}'' ''Franchise/{{Jewelpet}}'' that it'd need its own page. In the first season, almost every spell that protagonist Ruby tries to cast ends in an explosion that sends everyone flying, for example.



[[folder:Films -- Animated]]
* Due to a slip of the tongue in ''WesternAnimation/FernGullyTheLastRainforest'', Crysta shrinks Zack down to fairy size, as opposed to giving him the gift of fairy sight, but at least he got an [[GreenAesop important lesson about the environment]] out of it. Nearly got him killed in the process though.

to:

[[folder:Films -- Animated]]
Animation]]
* Due to a slip of the tongue in ''WesternAnimation/FernGullyTheLastRainforest'', Crysta shrinks Zack down to fairy size, as opposed to giving him the gift of fairy sight, but at least he got gets an [[GreenAesop important lesson about the environment]] out of it. Nearly got gets him killed in the process process, though.



** Ron Weasley has neither the raw determination of Harry or the bookish scholarliness of Hermione, and so can seem to lag behind the other two in magical power or skill, but nothing was worse for him than when his wand was broken. Offensive spells tended to rebound on the caster--i.e. him. This, however, turned out to be a good thing when Gilderoy Lockhart stole Ron's wand and tried to erase Harry and Ron's memories with it. (You can guess what happened.)

to:

** Ron Weasley has neither the raw determination of Harry or the bookish scholarliness of Hermione, and so can seem to lag behind the other two in magical power or skill, but nothing was worse for him than when his wand was broken. Offensive spells tended tends to rebound on the caster--i.caster -- i.e. him. This, however, turned turns out to be a good thing when Gilderoy Lockhart stole steals Ron's wand and tried tries to erase Harry and Ron's memories with it. (You can guess what happened.happens.)



* ''[[Literature/AMagesPower A Mage's Power]]'': The spell "Magic Sight" is tricky when you are first learning it.

to:

* ''[[Literature/AMagesPower A Mage's Power]]'': ''Literature/AMagesPower'': The spell "Magic Sight" is tricky when you are first learning it.



[[folder: Live Action TV ]]

to:

[[folder: Live Action TV ]][[folder:Live-Action TV]]



* When [[Series/{{Charmed}} Piper Halliwell's]] powers evolved from freezing things to full molecular manipulation, her misfires made things ''explode''.
* Aunt Clara on ''Series/{{Bewitched}}''. Samantha, too, when she caught a cold.
* Willow, several times, on ''Series/BuffyTheVampireSlayer''. Once, she accidentally lets loose her vampire doppelganger in Sunnydale, another time, her argument with Anya lets loose Olaf the troll, and let's not forget the spell that was supposed to erase two people's recent painful memories and mind-wiped the whole group instead.
** The recurring witch-character Amy Madison has this in Season 2. Xander gets her to cast a love spell on Cordelia using Cordy’s necklace as a focal point, but Amy’s still a bit new to magic and she messes up the spell so that it affects Sunnydale’s entire female population (including female vampires and Amy herself) ''apart'' from Cordelia.

to:

* ''Series/{{Charmed}}'': When [[Series/{{Charmed}} Piper Halliwell's]] Halliwell's powers evolved evolves from freezing things to full molecular manipulation, her misfires made make things ''explode''.
* Aunt Clara on ''Series/{{Bewitched}}''. Samantha, too, when she caught catches a cold.
* ''Series/BuffyTheVampireSlayer'':
**
Willow, several times, on ''Series/BuffyTheVampireSlayer''. times. Once, she accidentally lets loose her vampire doppelganger in Sunnydale, another Sunnydale. Another time, her argument with Anya lets loose Olaf the troll, and troll. And let's not forget the spell that was supposed to erase two people's recent painful memories and mind-wiped the whole group instead.
** The recurring witch-character Amy Madison has this in Season 2. Xander gets her to cast a love spell on Cordelia using Cordy’s Cordy's necklace as a focal point, but Amy’s Amy's still a bit new to magic and she messes up the spell so that it affects Sunnydale’s Sunnydale's entire female population (including female vampires and Amy herself) ''apart'' from Cordelia.



* In ''Series/{{Kaamelott}}'', IneptMage Merlin's attempts at magic commonly result in a misfire, if they work at all. Once, trying to cast a spell to make plants grow results in Arthur and Léodagan being afflicted by GlowingEyes for a while. Léodagan especially isn't happy about the pinkish glow of his eyes.



[[folder: Tabletop Games ]]
* Havoc Paradox in ''TabletopGame/MageTheAwakening'' causes this to happen to spells, at best causing them to hit an unintended target, at worst rearranging the spell's effect. Given that Paradox is '[[CosmicBeing the manifestation in this reality of a truly abhorrent flaw in the universe]] this is always, ''always'' a bad thing.

to:

[[folder: Tabletop Games ]]
[[folder:Tabletop Games]]
* ''TabletopGame/MageTheAwakening'':
**
Havoc Paradox in ''TabletopGame/MageTheAwakening'' causes this to happen to spells, at best causing them to hit an unintended target, at worst rearranging the spell's effect. Given that Paradox is '[[CosmicBeing the manifestation in this reality of a truly abhorrent flaw in the universe]] this is always, ''always'' a bad thing.



* ''TabletopGame/{{Warhammer 40000}}'' has this as a rule for psychic powers, called "Perils of the Warp". In older editions, if the psyker rolled a double 6 or double 1 on their Leadership test when trying to cast psychic powers, Perils was triggered; the psyker took a wound with no saves allowed, but on a double 1 (which is automatic success for Leadership-based rolls) the power still worked. In the 7th edition rules, with the introduction of the Psychic Phase, Perils has been completely retooled. Now, when making Warp Charge rolls with 2 or more dice, seeking rolls of 4+ to create Warp Charges to fuel psychic powers, Perils is triggered if you roll two or more 6s, although the psychic power is still successfully cast (provided the opposing player doesn't negate it). The pysker must then roll 1D6, with the result triggering an effect on a Perils of the Warp table which can be anywhere from the psyker being killed and possibly taking most of his comrades with him to gaining massive benefits, with an entire range of effects (almost all negative) in between.
** [[YourHeadASplode There are other side effects.]]
* ''TabletopGame/{{Warhammer}}'' has an extremely similar rule, Miscast. Here a roll on a chart is used to determine the effect of the miscast, ranging from the spell just failing to the mage getting sucked into the Warp.
** Orc and goblin shamans draw the energy from other goblinoids and consequently aren't vulnerable to the Warp in that fashion. But if a orc loses control of their magic, the extra energy can make [[YourHeadAsplode their heads blow up]].

to:

* ''TabletopGame/{{Warhammer 40000}}'' ''TabletopGame/Warhammer40000'' has this as a rule for psychic powers, called "Perils of the Warp". In older editions, if the psyker rolled a double 6 or double 1 on their Leadership test when trying to cast psychic powers, Perils was triggered; the psyker took a wound with no saves allowed, but on a double 1 (which is automatic success for Leadership-based rolls) the power still worked. In the 7th edition rules, with the introduction of the Psychic Phase, Perils has been completely retooled. Now, when making Warp Charge rolls with 2 or more dice, seeking rolls of 4+ to create Warp Charges to fuel psychic powers, Perils is triggered if you roll two or more 6s, although the psychic power is still successfully cast (provided the opposing player doesn't negate it). The pysker must then roll 1D6, with the result triggering an effect on a Perils of the Warp table which can be anywhere from the psyker being killed and possibly taking most of his comrades with him to gaining massive benefits, with an entire range of effects (almost all negative) in between.
**
between. [[YourHeadASplode There are other side effects.]]
* ''TabletopGame/{{Warhammer}}'' ''TabletopGame/{{Warhammer}}'':
** It
has an extremely similar rule, Miscast. Here a roll on a chart is used to determine the effect of the miscast, ranging from the spell just failing to the mage getting sucked into the Warp.
** Orc and goblin shamans draw the energy from other goblinoids and consequently aren't vulnerable to the Warp in that fashion. But if a an orc loses control of their magic, the extra energy can make [[YourHeadAsplode their heads blow up]].



* ''{{TabletopGame/GURPS}}'' uses a similar system to Warhammer. The effects range from "nothing," "illusory effect," "wrong target," "opposite of intended effect" all the way up to "summon malevolent demon". Alternate critical tables offer anything from [[CosmicPlaything funny]] to [[EldritchAbomination summoning things that are even worse]].
** The chance of critically failing a cast is affected by the mage's skill with that spell. Some very powerful spells (eg, Great Wish) can only be learned up to level 15, which means there's ''always'' a good chance of backfire. And that's in addition to the enormous energy cost, of course
* The "Wild Mage" class in ''TabletopGame/DungeonsAndDragons'', best known for appearing in ''VideoGame/BaldursGateII'', casts the same spells as a standard mage with a 95% chance of expected results . . . and a 5% chance of something else, ranging from dropping a cow on the target to summoning gemstones out of nowhere. For added fun, their unique level 1 spell "Nahal's Reckless Dweomer" can mimic almost any other spell but has a much higher chance of bizarre effects.
** In some editions, arcane spells also have a chance to simply fail outright if the caster is wearing armour. Deafness and some other conditions can also cause a chance of spell failure, as can being distracted during casting (by taking damage, for instance).
* For just about any RPG that uses magic, it's considered traditional to have a [[LongList long and varied list]] of the various misfires that can occur when a spellcaster rolls poorly. HilarityEnsues.
** In the notorious RPG ''TabletopGames/{{FATAL}}'' it is actually possibly to cause a magical misfire that ''destroys the entire world'' by accidentally casting the spell list's world-destroying spell. And [[CrapsackWorld nothing of value is lost]]. That's just one result out of ''thousands''; the misfire list goes on for a dozen pages and also includes [[MemeticMutation RANDY GAY OGRES!]]

to:

* ''{{TabletopGame/GURPS}}'' ''TabletopGame/{{GURPS}}'' uses a similar system to Warhammer.''Warhammer''. The effects range from "nothing," "illusory effect," "wrong target," "opposite of intended effect" all the way up to "summon malevolent demon". Alternate critical tables offer anything from [[CosmicPlaything funny]] to [[EldritchAbomination summoning things that are even worse]].
**
worse]]. The chance of critically failing a cast is affected by the mage's skill with that spell. Some very powerful spells (eg, Great Wish) can only be learned up to level 15, which means there's ''always'' a good chance of backfire. And that's in addition to the enormous energy cost, of course
* ''TabletopGame/DungeonsAndDragons'':
**
The "Wild Mage" class in ''TabletopGame/DungeonsAndDragons'', class, best known for appearing in ''VideoGame/BaldursGateII'', casts the same spells as a standard mage with a 95% chance of expected results . . .results... and a 5% chance of something else, ranging from dropping a cow on the target to summoning gemstones out of nowhere. For added fun, their unique level 1 spell "Nahal's Reckless Dweomer" can mimic almost any other spell but has a much higher chance of bizarre effects.
** In some editions, arcane spells also have a chance to simply fail outright if the caster is wearing armour.armor. Deafness and some other conditions can also cause a chance of spell failure, as can being distracted during casting (by taking damage, for instance).
* For just about any RPG that uses magic, it's considered traditional to have a [[LongList long and varied list]] of the various misfires that can occur when a spellcaster rolls poorly. HilarityEnsues.
**
HilarityEnsues. In the notorious RPG ''TabletopGames/{{FATAL}}'' it is actually possibly to cause a magical misfire that ''destroys the entire world'' by accidentally casting the spell list's world-destroying spell. And [[CrapsackWorld nothing of value is lost]]. That's just one result out of ''thousands''; the misfire list goes on for a dozen pages and also includes [[MemeticMutation RANDY GAY OGRES!]]



* ''{{Theatre/Wicked}}''. [[RuleOfThree Monkeys that fly, steal a man's heart, make a cripple walk,]] oh my. Then there's [[spoiler: Fiyero...]] a (preemptive!) CameBackWrong.

to:

* ''{{Theatre/Wicked}}''.''Theatre/{{Wicked}}''. [[RuleOfThree Monkeys that fly, steal a man's heart, make a cripple walk,]] oh my. Then there's [[spoiler: Fiyero...]] a (preemptive!) CameBackWrong.



* Webcomic/{{Dan|AndMabsFurryAdventures}} has refused to learn or use magic ever since he [[http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_551.php accidentally hit himself in the face with a rock]] as a child.
* Ratheel of {{Juathuur}} [[http://www.oneway.juathuur.com/?id=118 learns the power of words]].
* {{Implied}} in DraconiaChronicles; dragons can only use {{Magick}} at point-blank in the rain, unless they have an AmplifierArtifact.
* In ''Webcomic/TheDementiaOfMagic'', miscast spells often produce “nasal flies”: disembodied noses with wings.
* Invoked in ''Literature/TheOrderOfTheStick'' when a character with absolutely no magical training [[http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1020.html activates]] a harmless scroll so ineptly it explodes, [[spoiler:quite deliberately, because he needed a weapon]].

to:

* Webcomic/{{Dan|AndMabsFurryAdventures}} ''Webcomic/DanAndMabsFurryAdventures'': Dan has refused to learn or use magic ever since he [[http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_551.php accidentally hit himself in the face with a rock]] as a child.
* Ratheel of {{Juathuur}} ''Webcomic/{{Juathuur}}'' [[http://www.oneway.juathuur.com/?id=118 learns the power of words]].
* {{Implied}} in DraconiaChronicles; ''Webcomic/DraconiaChronicles''; dragons can only use {{Magick}} at point-blank in the rain, unless they have an AmplifierArtifact.
* In ''Webcomic/TheDementiaOfMagic'', miscast spells often produce “nasal flies”: "nasal flies": disembodied noses with wings.
* Invoked in ''Literature/TheOrderOfTheStick'' ''Webcomic/TheOrderOfTheStick'' when a character with absolutely no magical training [[http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1020.html activates]] a harmless scroll so ineptly it explodes, [[spoiler:quite deliberately, because he needed a weapon]].



** Her attempt to tamper with the parasprites in "Swarm of the Century" makes the situation worse, the Want It, Need It spell in "Lesson Zero" causes a mess so big Celestia has to step in and ending up having to drive home the aesop of the day, and another attempt to adjust the natural behavior of animals start up the main plot in "Bats!".

to:

** Her attempt to tamper with the parasprites in "Swarm of the Century" makes the situation worse, the Want It, Need It spell in "Lesson Zero" causes a mess so big Celestia has to step in and ending up having to drive home the aesop of the day, and another attempt to adjust the natural behavior of animals start up the main plot in "Bats!"."Bats!"



* RobotChicken has a sketch parodying Harry Potter where potions and spells have a small and disturbingly lethal margin for error. A flower conjuring charm can turn your hand into a face-eating chimpanzee head if you mispronounce a syllable and a potion that changes eye color can shoot your teeth out of your mouth before blowing your head up if you add ''one'' extra drop of an ingredient.

to:

* RobotChicken ''WesternAnimation/RobotChicken'' has a sketch parodying Harry Potter where potions and spells have a small and disturbingly lethal margin for error. A flower conjuring charm can turn your hand into a face-eating chimpanzee head if you mispronounce a syllable and a potion that changes eye color can shoot your teeth out of your mouth before blowing your head up if you add ''one'' extra drop of an ingredient.



4th Aug '16 2:51:28 AM PaulA
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* This happens all the time to [[IneptMage Questor Thews]] in Creator/TerryBrooks' [[MagicKingdomOfLandover Landover]] books.

to:

* This happens all the time to [[IneptMage Questor Thews]] in Creator/TerryBrooks' [[MagicKingdomOfLandover Landover]] ''Literature/MagicKingdomOfLandover'' books.
31st Jul '16 5:43:53 AM Morgenthaler
Is there an issue? Send a Message


[[folder:Films -- Animated]]
* Due to a slip of the tongue in ''WesternAnimation/FernGullyTheLastRainforest'', Crysta shrinks Zack down to fairy size, as opposed to giving him the gift of fairy sight, but at least he got an [[GreenAesop important lesson about the environment]] out of it. Nearly got him killed in the process though.
[[/folder]]



* Due to a slip of the tongue in ''WesternAnimation/FernGullyTheLastRainforest'', Crysta shrinks Zack down to fairy size, as opposed to giving him the gift of fairy sight, but at least he got an [[GreenAesop important lesson about the environment]] out of it. Nearly got him killed in the process though.
31st Jul '16 5:42:50 AM Morgenthaler
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* Due to a slip of the tongue in ''FernGully'', Crysta shrinks Zack down to fairy size, as opposed to giving him the gift of fairy sight, but at least he got an [[GreenAesop important lesson about the environment]] out of it. Nearly got him killed in the process though.

to:

* Due to a slip of the tongue in ''FernGully'', ''WesternAnimation/FernGullyTheLastRainforest'', Crysta shrinks Zack down to fairy size, as opposed to giving him the gift of fairy sight, but at least he got an [[GreenAesop important lesson about the environment]] out of it. Nearly got him killed in the process though.
29th Jul '16 9:35:10 AM supergod
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* In ''{{Ultima Underworld}} 2'', your character can damage themselves with their own spells if their casting skill isn't high enough.

to:

* In ''{{Ultima Underworld}} ''VideoGame/UltimaUnderworld 2'', your character can damage themselves with their own spells if their casting skill isn't high enough.
24th Jul '16 5:15:15 PM Dvandemon
Is there an issue? Send a Message

Added DiffLines:

* RobotChicken has a sketch parodying Harry Potter where potions and spells have a small and disturbingly lethal margin for error. A flower conjuring charm can turn your hand into a face-eating chimpanzee head if you mispronounce a syllable and a potion that changes eye color can shoot your teeth out of your mouth before blowing your head up if you add ''one'' extra drop of an ingredient.
25th Jun '16 9:45:32 PM nombretomado
Is there an issue? Send a Message


* The "Wild Mage" class in ''TabletopGame/DungeonsAndDragons'', best known for appearing in ''BaldursGate 2'', casts the same spells as a standard mage with a 95% chance of expected results . . . and a 5% chance of something else, ranging from dropping a cow on the target to summoning gemstones out of nowhere. For added fun, their unique level 1 spell "Nahal's Reckless Dweomer" can mimic almost any other spell but has a much higher chance of bizarre effects.

to:

* The "Wild Mage" class in ''TabletopGame/DungeonsAndDragons'', best known for appearing in ''BaldursGate 2'', ''VideoGame/BaldursGateII'', casts the same spells as a standard mage with a 95% chance of expected results . . . and a 5% chance of something else, ranging from dropping a cow on the target to summoning gemstones out of nowhere. For added fun, their unique level 1 spell "Nahal's Reckless Dweomer" can mimic almost any other spell but has a much higher chance of bizarre effects.
3rd Jun '16 6:22:53 PM AuraXtreme
Is there an issue? Send a Message

Added DiffLines:

Not to be confused with a magic ''Webcomic/{{Misfile}}''.
22nd May '16 9:34:19 PM ThatBitterTase
Is there an issue? Send a Message


** In the notorious RPG ''TabletopGames/{{FATAL}}'' it is actually possibly to cause a magical misfire that ''destroys the entire world'' by accidentally casting the spell list's world-destroying spell. And [[CrapsackWorld nothing of value is lost]].

to:

** In the notorious RPG ''TabletopGames/{{FATAL}}'' it is actually possibly to cause a magical misfire that ''destroys the entire world'' by accidentally casting the spell list's world-destroying spell. And [[CrapsackWorld nothing of value is lost]]. That's just one result out of ''thousands''; the misfire list goes on for a dozen pages and also includes [[MemeticMutation RANDY GAY OGRES!]]
24th Apr '16 3:14:24 PM eroock
Is there an issue? Send a Message

Added DiffLines:

* Causing YourHeadASplode in [[http://www.loadingartist.com/comic/magic-trick/ this]] strip from ''Webcomic/LoadingArtist''.
This list shows the last 10 events of 140. Show all.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/article_history.php?article=Main.MagicMisfire